Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Apline Infinity Gold question

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Telejoke 
#1 ·
I just bought a '94 Grand Cherokee. The radio didn't work the first time I turned it on (the LEDs on the graphic equalizer all work, but no display). It did play one time later (still no display). Hasn't played again. :( I took it out and reseated all the connectors, still nothing. It probably needs replacing and I was wondering what difference is there in models that have identical connectors (specifically 5269480 - mine, and 5269432 - another Infinity Gold unit). Both units have the 5-band equalizer. Can I just swap them out?

Thanks! :wave:

#2 ·
As far as I know, it should work just fine.

#3 ·
All Chrysler radios before 2002 will interchange as far as connectors, but the '93-95 Jeeps use different mounting ears than the standard Chrysler ears. Stick with an Infinity radio. All Chrysler radios put out speaker-level output and will run speakers directly, but the Infinity system radios put out much less bass. It is made up in the remote amplifier(s) which modify tone response for the shape of the vehicle. Non-Infinity radios, which look the same, (without the Infinity logo), will have too much bass unless you turn it way down.

Your display is repairable but it really isn't a do-it-yourselfer project on most models. Once repaired, it's repaired for life. The problem relates to automated manufacturing techniques. They will also develop intermittent fm, intermittent am AND fm, the volume control stops working properly, and the front switches don't work or perform the wrong functions. I repair all of those things on every radio a dealer ships me even if they haven't acted up yet.

I get nervous when the cd player stops working on some of these models. Through the 1990s, GM has had a 100 percent failure rate on their cd laser assemblies. I have never had a defective cd laser assembly on the Chrysler cd / cassette combo radios built by Mitsubishi. I've run into five defective lasers on the Alpine-built cd-only radios. That's still a pretty good track record out of over 2000 Chrysler radios I've repaired, but even five is disappointing.

caradiodoc

#7 ·
I get nervous when the cd player stops working on some of these models. Through the 1990s, GM has had a 100 percent failure rate on their cd laser assemblies. I have never had a defective cd laser assembly on the Chrysler cd / cassette combo radios built by Mitsubishi. I've run into five defective lasers on the Alpine-built cd-only radios. That's still a pretty good track record out of over 2000 Chrysler radios I've repaired, but even five is disappointing.

caradiodoc
I'm not sure if my symptom is the same as the one in this topic -- the display seems to work fine but the radio does not play at all. The CD will take a CD and read it but it doesn't track; after a few seconds it ejects the CD.

Turning the volume knob will get some static in the speakers briefly, but otherwise nothing.

OTHER SYMPTOMS: The information center is flashing... you can reset the date and time info... but next time you start the car it all goes back to the January 1 date with flashing.

I found a note in the owner's manual that refers to a fuse or relay (IOD #16) in the power distribution center. The manual says this device may need re-seating or replacement if the radio is behaving "eratically". None of those fuses and relays are numbered in my '94 Jeep Cherokee Limited.

Have you run across symptoms like these? I hope so -- especially if you fixed them :)

#4 ·
Hi SirGCal. Just noticed your quote about punctuation. THANK YOU! Would you please add a note about people who type "needs replaced". Every grade school teacher will smack you for not saying it "needs TO BE replaced". This seems to be another very common laziness issue. I answer hundreds of car questions on another site every month and I won't even bother to reply to people who don't care enough to use proper grammar or provide sufficient details. If they're that pressed for time, so am I. People usually don't speak like they type, and without hand gestures and voice inflection, and the obvious lack of proof-reading, many posts are so confusing, the person shouldn't have even wasted their time.

Now that my rant is over, let me say "thank you" to the many people who DO put the effort into providing a clear explanation of the symptoms and questions. If they care enough to do that, I can certainly spend the time to research an appropriate answer.

Ok, I'm done now! :)

caradiodoc

#5 ·
Question answered

I think I've answered my own question. I took the cassette radio out of my '94 Dodge Dakota and plugged it into the Jeep and it worked fine. The power antenna even worked through it, and the Dakota doesn't have that feature. It does have different mounting ears, so it can't be installed permanently, but it verified the functionality of the Jeep's wiring. Thanks to all who replied to the newbee! :cheers2:

#6 ·
By the way, I read somewhere in another post from a while back, there is a user on here who buys the repairable units for $50. I don't remember his handle, but when I tried to IM him, his box was full. Anyone know who that is, or does anyone else buy and repair these radios?

Thanks!

#8 ·
Ditto on the person who buys radios...

I replaced my Infinity Gold HU with a JVC as the stock radio was not working. I did notice when I took it out that there was no ground connection -- the ground wire looked like it had been snapped off. Re-grounded the Infinity Gold and tried again but no luck.

Three cheers for the folks who make those "adapter" wiring harneses. They save hours of reading diagrams and second guessing '94 engineers :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.