Anyone using the IPF housings with HID? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Anyone using the IPF housings with HID?

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
BUSAFREAK

Anyone using the IPF housings with HID?

I like the IPF housings because they have the line cut-off. Since it has that why not install an HID kit. Anyone done this? I know most use the fatboy bulbs, but i'd like to get me some HID's.
Search sucks with 3 letter words

BUSAFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
hockey_fan59

does anybody have an answer to this?
thanks
hockey_fan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
mylt1

the "cut off" is designed for halogen lights not HID's so you will still have a glare problem.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
madrabbitt

we tried hid bulbs in the MSR versions using a h4-based bulb and cut-off shield.

No high beam, but the low beam was tolorable.

Granted, it was for an off-road only vehicle, wouldnt want it on the roads.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
SirGCal

It would be illegal to use HID bulbs in a Halogen lens. Asside from that, it would not work properly and be bothersome to oncoming drivers. Do not do it.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
madrabbitt

Actually, no.

(Unless idaho or iowa, forgot which, passes the law they wanted to ban ALL HID... including oem equipped, but thats another can of worms)

It is NOT illegal to put hid bulbs in standard housings.
Just like its unfortuntly not illegal to put ricer blue bulbs in your headlight.

Federal motor vehicle code covers OEM installed equipment.
State laws (usually) fill in the gaps.
Modifying OEM equipment to no longer meet DOT standards, however, is not actually against the law in most states.

I'll use Texas as an example, since its your state, and one that i'm pretty familiear with, after working in a fleet services shop there for a few years.

Texas law on headlights requires at least one, but less then 4 lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle, at a certain height (I believe its 29-54 inches, but i could be off a bit) Beyond that, it defers to federal code as for the exact specifications of the lights.
Federal code does not, in theory, prohibit using HID bulbs in halogen housings.
It restricts max output in WATTS rather then brightness, so a 35 watt HID would be lower then the max for every single type of headlight.

Now, where it starts getting tricky is aim, pattern and cutoff. The federal codes do indeed specify that, so in a state that defers to federal (like texas) to keep it legal, you'd have to correctly aim them, and use a housing that applies the correct pattern to them.

It is tricky, but it is more then possible.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 08-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
Actually, no.

(Unless idaho or iowa, forgot which, passes the law they wanted to ban ALL HID... including oem equipped, but thats another can of worms)

It is NOT illegal to put hid bulbs in standard housings.
Just like its unfortuntly not illegal to put ricer blue bulbs in your headlight.

Federal motor vehicle code covers OEM installed equipment.
State laws (usually) fill in the gaps.
Modifying OEM equipment to no longer meet DOT standards, however, is not actually against the law in most states.

I'll use Texas as an example, since its your state, and one that i'm pretty familiear with, after working in a fleet services shop there for a few years.

Texas law on headlights requires at least one, but less then 4 lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle, at a certain height (I believe its 29-54 inches, but i could be off a bit) Beyond that, it defers to federal code as for the exact specifications of the lights.
Federal code does not, in theory, prohibit using HID bulbs in halogen housings.
It restricts max output in WATTS rather then brightness, so a 35 watt HID would be lower then the max for every single type of headlight.

Now, where it starts getting tricky is aim, pattern and cutoff. The federal codes do indeed specify that, so in a state that defers to federal (like texas) to keep it legal, you'd have to correctly aim them, and use a housing that applies the correct pattern to them.

It is tricky, but it is more then possible.

In Texas, you will not pass inspection with HID bulbs in non-HID intended housings... That is, if they look that close... So for what that's worth, here anyhow, it is illegal. But I don't know how many inspectors would actually look that close or care. Since you make 0 moneys for them, many just flush you through to get you out of there. Especially in my non-emissions county (yea baby!).

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
madrabbitt

you must live in one of the smaller counties with no emissions. I grew up in El Paso county, so we had to deal with that every year, especially growing up with the cars we had... early 70's chevelle and early 60's benz 500. Those things were beasts, and they always had to get tuned up right before the test.

You will pass inspection with hid bulbs in hid housings IF they had DOT stamps... mostly fake DOT stamps, but thats what the inspection is looking for.

My HID conversions would pass in texas, even if the inspector had the rules in his hand... but thats a very rare scenario.
I have DOT approved projectors designed specifically for D2R hid bulbs, and the correct DOT stamped D2R bulbs and OEM dot stamped ballasts...

Granted. 99.5% of hid conversions arent legal like mine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.