Anybody want more bass in their tj? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Anybody want more bass in their tj?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #61
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That looks good Tm, sounds like it'll thump loud, lol...

I'm still puttering away at mine. I've got the rear ready to go in, and the fronts almost, console box is ready other than no sub yet (waiting on a MTX that should be hear today.) Just need to make a rack for the amps (my stereo guy is doing some of this in his free time, so we both are not working to fast, lol!) Waiting for stuff to come in too as some wrong stuff came initally Been busy elsewhere too, sigh...
This week I've been trying to get my Aux fuse panel installed too, as it will be powering the amps and other items. Made a nice shelf to mount it over the battery, but may put it on the drivers side instead on that panel where the abs would be if I had it. I dunno if its to dirty there though, but probably not? So been bouncing around ideas and not doing much!

Unread 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #62
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see it's coming together. Which mtx did you end up with? Are you gonna add some poly fill to the box?

Also, I assume the "fuse panel" you're installing is for your amps. If so, I highly recommend going with a circuit breaker for each amp. It's much safer and less hassle down the road. Plus, when, or if you ever need to disconnect the amps, it's just a push of a button.

Keep us updated on your progress. Pics?
Unread 01-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #63
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very slowly but surely
FPR10 (I think the same as you, no? I got the MTX idea from you, but couldn't rememeber the model number when we went to order it, lol) It looks pretty beefy for a shallow mount. We were messing around with the pods we made for the front with my stereo guy tonight, and they are almost done now. Ready for final install of all the speakers and this console box this weekend hopefully. We didn't get to making the amp rack yet as we decided to play with another car he had in his shop instead though, lol... We are using poly and some matting. Did you have to make a ring for the sub to fit? We did, and weren't to impressed that we had to as it's one more thing to seal up...

It's a Blue Sea SafetyHub 150 I'm installing for all the accessories. Still not sure whether to put it in a box of some kind as we cant find anything decent for were I want it, or to use that nice aluminum rack I made over the battery...

I was going to post some pics for you, but my camera (phone) isn't working for some reason. I went down to get a part, but am waiting for it now.
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #64
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you run into any issues with the flange the sub sits on? Mine is definately not flat, not sure what to do

Any rattles etc yet? I was figuring I'd put a little of very thin carpet on some of the outside before I slipped it in the center console. Think it's needed?
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't have any issues with the flange. If it is not flat, make a seal out of foam or dynamat.

I didn't use carpet on the box, however I did put dynamat on the console and anywhere the box would touch or rub. I have no vibrations. It still sounds very clean, even when blasting.
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #66
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's like 1-1.5mm out. You can see the flange is thin for a few inches, then gets thicker and stays thicker rest of the way round. I thought it was just different thickness, not warped. I'll see what my stereo guy has to seal it up like dynomat etc like you suggested. Hopefully it's not out far enough for that to not seal it.

I just want to get this install done! I've been screwing around with all this crap way to long. It's already blown my budget out of the water, lol
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #67
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Blowing a budget goes hand in hand with Jeep ownership.
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #68
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

aiy, doubely so with car audio, lol
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #69
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

arg, I'm getting ready to toss this whole box/sub in the garbage.
I resealed the sub and I really don't think it's leaking around the edge, but from around the center cap on the sub that says MTX Why can't anything go half-*** normally for me??
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #70
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You got a defective sub? Have you hooked it up yet? What makes you think it's leaking? Pics? I feel for ya, that you have had so many problems with this install. If the sub is defective, it is still under warranty.
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #71
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, its definetly the sub I temporarily sealed the ring/disc in the middle with a piece of electrical tape and it stops hissing when you push on the cone area gently (easiest way to check for air leaks.) I'll have to wait for my stereo guy to get back from vacation in a week and a bit to warranty it too, arggg, lol....
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #72
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got a new sub, put it together and got the Jeep mostly back together now (finally!) I ended up replacing the deck too just to get something with better sound quality. I still think this sub enclosure is garbage, as I had to really muck with every part of it all along the way (your lucky frenchy it worked smooth for you, I was mine had.) The brackets didn't come close to lining up so had to tweak them a lot to fit when putting it in in addition to the many other issues with it. Its all together at least now!

I ended up with a setup that looks like this (at almost 2x my planned budget too lol): the 10" MTX FPS sub; SSV box (garbage!); Soundstream SST 4.0 and 5.2 speakers in the front and rear (dang the grills and these are fugly! glad I used the stockers!), I used the Jeep Infinity enlcosures in the front for the 4.0's and sealed 'em in there; I used sound mat etc in the speaker pods, and all enclosures actually; JVC Aresenal deck; Blaupunkt 4 channel for the front and rear, and another smaller 2ch Blaupunkt bridged for the sub. Made a deck for the amps and the seats would have to be taken out to steal them so some saftety there I hope ( I have an alarm/starter too.) I tried to make the system other than the deck look as stock as possible to deter theft somewhat I hope.
I tested it out today and still need to have the amps set up by my stereo guy and tune it well and what not. Its sounding pretty great so far though, much much better than the blown speakers and sub that was in there!!!

Thanks for the help and tips etc frenchy, it was much appreciated and I've learned lots from here and my stereo guy.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #73
jeeptree2112
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Frenchy just came upon this SSV works review and install. Thanks It will help me out as does most people on this forum.
Just ordered a
kenwood excelon-x997 head unit........
4 polk db521 5.25" speakers with Nalin Front dash adapters
SSV works 10" center console enclosure
Rockford fosgate 10" shallow sub
Alpine power pack 4 way amp for the polks
rockford fosgate power punch mono amp for the SUB
New 14-16 gauge Monster speaker wire all around
CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THIS ROLLING BRICK THUMP!!.........it better, the checkbook is empty
06 LJ Rubicon/Auto/RCV axles/5.13 gears/5.5" Triangulated 3F+4R-link Long Arm/Savvy Skids front to rear/Poison Spider RockBrawler Bumper/OFFROAD Walker Evans Beadlocks w/ KM/2's..ON ROAD MT Classic II w/ Xtreme Pro Comp & my DD
jeeptree2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #74
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the enclosure, I hope it works better for you than it did for me. I hope it was a fluke all the issues I had but that still doesn't excuse the piss poor service I got from them
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #75
jeeptree2112
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can make just about anything work so so the structure is there to hold the sub. Kind of limited with console options. That part is too bad. Thanks. We will see
06 LJ Rubicon/Auto/RCV axles/5.13 gears/5.5" Triangulated 3F+4R-link Long Arm/Savvy Skids front to rear/Poison Spider RockBrawler Bumper/OFFROAD Walker Evans Beadlocks w/ KM/2's..ON ROAD MT Classic II w/ Xtreme Pro Comp & my DD
jeeptree2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.