Anybody want more bass in their tj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Anybody want more bass in their tj?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody want more bass in their tj?

So, I started this thread to find out everyone's opinion on stock sound. There have been several write-ups on replacement of the factory 6.5" console sub, which I have done myself, however going down the highway in a soft top or no top, that little 6.5" sub works hard.

Now I don't need crazy bass to rattle the windows, however I would like better, deeper bass that won't distort when going 60+ down the highway, without compromising the already little cargo space.

I came across a company that actually sells a finished fiberglass enclosure that holds a 10" shallow mount sub. This enclosure fits where the factory box fits, in the center console, with no modification.

When I saw this, it definitely sparked my interest. This could be the best alternative to all our lack of bass and lack of space issues. I contacted the company and ordered one. I did some research and also ordered a shallow mount MTX sub to fit in the enclosure.

I won't be back in town till mid November, however it is first on my list to try out. I want to give everyone here, who is interested, a writeup on the product, fitment and how it sounds compared to my already upgraded sub.

What do you guys wanna see, know, etc. I really think this could be a great, fairly reasonably priced solution to our sound issues. If many are interested, I might be able to get a deal from the manufacture. And, yes, it is made here in the good ol USA.

Unread 10-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

10" sub in the factory console without modification would be nice. Writeup with pics would be great. Does the company have a website?
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

My LJ did not come with a sub, just the cut out in the center console for it. I just pulled the plastic storage box, cut it up and mounted a board to the drivers side of it, fit a nice 10" sub in there that is run off the little rockford fosgate amp that is in the dash, amp come with a bass controller that I mounted down low on the console by the hand brake, works great for me.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen
10" sub in the factory console without modification would be nice. Writeup with pics would be great. Does the company have a website?
Yes. I'm on the road right now. I'll look it up when I get a chance.
Unread 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboelts
My LJ did not come with a sub, just the cut out in the center console for it. I just pulled the plastic storage box, cut it up and mounted a board to the drivers side of it, fit a nice 10" sub in there that is run off the little rockford fosgate amp that is in the dash, amp come with a bass controller that I mounted down low on the console by the hand brake, works great for me.
Nice job.
Unread 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did something similar with my console except with an 8" slimline sub. I had no factory sub, so I had to fab a top to the storage pocket, sound deaden the crap out of it and mount the sub. Pretty easy to do really. I'll stay tuned for your write up on this new enclosure.

I carpeted the lid and gave myself a little storage space for CD's, faceplate, etc.

My console already had the grill for the speaker.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.amazon.com/SSV-Works-Wran.../dp/B008CQOPAU
Unread 10-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You beat me to it. SSV Motor works. It sounds like the best alternative to small space with big sound.

I'll keep you all posted on the install and most importantly, the sound.
Unread 10-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
someschoolkid

You could always do something like this

someschoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is nuts.
Unread 11-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Neat, I wouldn't mind one of those. Too bad it doesn't say what the airspace is. If you get one try to get more accurate dimensions so we can check.
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I believe airspace is .6 cubic feet. Most shallow mount subs require around .7, which is close. Put some poly fill and you're golden. Will give update when home, in 2 weeks.
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you're not too concerned about the space behind your back seat, you can order a custom box from just4effect.com. 8, 10, or 12 inch subs with a single or dual subs. I've got a link in my sig showing the box I got. Works very well with the top on or off.
Originally Posted by 5-90
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet
FYI: For concerned parents out there. The wrangler has fairly good frontal, offset, and rollover crashworthiness ratings. IE: You walk away from a crash, and write posts on how you plan to re-build your rig.

just4effect.com sub box review
jwaller89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure it works awesome. Personally, I like having as much space as possible, for recovery gear, tools, etc. If there were room to spare, I would agree, however keeping the stock look, as well as keeping all the cargo space, and getting bass that is leaps and bounds better than stock, in my opinion, is the best of all worlds.
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I finally get back home at the end of the week. Top on my list is to do this box and sub install, with pics of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.