Anybody know anything about 6 1/2" speaker box porting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Anybody know anything about 6 1/2" speaker box porting?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody know anything about 6 1/2" speaker box porting?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know I already posted it but the other title is misleading and I don't know what I am doing.
Well I built soundpods for my YJ. I will try to get pics later, my camera batteries were dead this morning. I used sony explode 6.5" 3 way speakers, new that I got off craigslist for $15.00. I built the pods rather small, they are only a total of 2.25" deep (about 1.25" inside just enough depth that the magnet does not touch the top of the pod) and about 7" x 9" (the 6.5" speaker grill fits with about 1/2" all around). I made them so small to try to maximize rear head room. I have designed them to fit behind the center bar. They will set in the corner of the center bar and the rear side bar, and are almost flush with the bottom of the bar. I cut them at the same angle the side bar intersects the center bar so they have a nice fit. I made them out of 1/2" sanded plywood that I had lying around, and I used plasticote bedliner on the exterior. Since I have made them so small and there is so little airspace should I port the box? I am very new to the sound scene and am looking for any help I can get. I am not looking for a booming system, just something a little more signifigant than the 2 front speakers I have now (I think they are 4"x6"). I think my setup will be all that I need, I just want to make sure it is set up correctly. I tried them out last night on the floor of the jeep temporarily and noticed that the cone doesn't move much. That is why I am thinking I may need to port it. Thanks for your help.

Jason

bradyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
apoto11
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well a port is more than just cutting a hole in the box. You can port it if you want but I don't think it would make much of a difference with such a small enclosure. With that small of a box I'm not sure that you would even be able to port it because, like I said, a port is more than just a hole. You will need something like pvc pipe that will actually go into the box and I don't know if you really have much room.

Generally, smaller boxes are sealed and it's the larger ones that are more often ported. Also a sealed box will provide with a tighter/crisper low frequencies while a ported box will give you deeper and sometimes louder bass.
apoto11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I will forget the porting. Would you suggest some of the polyfill, or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks
Jason
Unread 05-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
SirGCal

Ya, tuning a port for a conventional speaker is more difficult than just for the low sub frequencies. Plus the box may need to be larger and the port a significantly specific size and length for the frequency you're after. I wouldn't do it. Instead seal the box properly and use polyfill to help assure proper dampening and rear-wave control. I also spray the inside of the box with rubberized undercoating to make sure it's sealed and to add texture to the interior which helps destroy the rear wave.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You want to look for info on aperiodic enclosures; look for articles about venting kick pods and you'll find some more info. However with such a simple speaker it's probably not worth the effort *2 cents*

From a simple web search:
http://www.teamaudionutz.com/tutoria...iodic_Cookbook
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help. I add polyfill and forget the port. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks again.

Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.