Any advice on JK stereo budget upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Any advice on JK stereo budget upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
RobMurphy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Any advice on JK stereo budget upgrade?

My stock JK stereo is so lame that I can barely hear anything. I want to upgrade it but not break the bank. I would like a head unit that has bluetoothe so i can stream from my phone or iPad. Any suggestions? What about good speakers that are not super expensive? Are all four speakers 6.5 inches? I'm also thinking about adding an Infintiy Basslink or Bazooka for bass. Something that I can easily remove when I'm loading up for camping trips.

Thanks
rob

RobMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

All speakers are 6.5". 2 coaxial speakers in the sound bar and 2 component speakers in the dash. If you get an external bass with amp, i would recommend to get a small amp for your other speakers as well. I am currently installing an alpine power pack which can be had for about 135 if you shop around. Speakers all depend on what wattage you are pushing. Any high wattage good quality speaekr will be expensive. If your not goign to amplify your 6.5" speakers then you can get 4 speakers for less then $60. The sub and head unit are where it gets expensive. Just make sure you dont buy speakers that are rated for lets say 100 watts RMS unless you are goign to be amplyfing them. Underpowering a speaker can be just as bad for it as overpowering a speaker.
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
RobMurphy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I never thought about underpowering a speaker. What about ohms? Aren't speakers rated at ohms as well and don't I need to match them to the head unit?
RobMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yes, speakers are rated by ohms. Most head units will work with 2/4 ohm speakers. When you looking at the specs for a specific head unit or speaker it will list what ohms they are. I know the Alpine Power Pack i am about to install, it is rated at 45 watts RMS for 2 or 4 ohm speakers. If your ohms dont match up you run the risk of causing your headunit to run hotter then normal which leads to shorter life of the inner electronics.
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

+1 on the Alpine powerpack.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
+1 on the Alpine powerpack.
Im assuming you have installed it and I have 2 questions regarding it if you coudl answer them.

Did you have alot of noise when you first installed? I dont have any alternator whine just excess noise when the volume is low. What did you do to fix it. I still have all my wires together and i ahve nto yet seperated the power wire from the speaker wires.

Did you use the ground loop isolators? I have not installed those yet as i do not know hwo to wire them into speaker level inputs. Im asumming just cut and match the + and - to the corresponding speaker wires.

I changed the speakers in the sound bar before adding the power pack. They sounded normal and much better then stock. Now that i have the power pack installed it sounds different. More specifically the low end bass notes, they are boomy, almost like the extra power is making them move in the sound bar and i need to secure the speaker in a more solid manner.

Thanks
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Never had any noise issues. Pretty much plug and play. It was a slow day at work when I got it and I built the harness at my desk. Crimp connectors and an adapter harness.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Indy

If you have good grounds you don't need isolators. If you have alt whine, you still don't need them. They're a bandaid for bad grounds.

Most car speakers are rated for 4 ohms, most decks as well. If you feed them a 2 ohm load you may run into trouble. Rms doesn't matter if you're sending them less. The rms is just what they are supposed to be capable of carrying for extended periods. Unless your deck puts out exactly what your speakers are rated for and you're constantly at full volume your speakers will always be seeing less watts and are constantly under-driven.

You can overdrive a speaker, within reason, if its a clean signal. Few decks regardless of rating will send a clean signal at more than 10-15 watts. After that they're sending distortion, and distortion kills speakers in short order. a good amp will send more clean watts and the same speaker will live a long and healthy life even though it sees more power.

Imo you want your speakers to be rated for at least and preferably slighly more than what your system can produce but you won't hurt anything if they can handle 100w and you feed them 20.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.