Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

anti-dead battery device.

672 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SirGCal 
#1 ·
1st off, i'd like to apologize if this has been beaten to death... i was informed of this possibility awhile ago, and never did anything about it, not even bookmarking the links :(

I'm running a red-top optima (i know, shoulda gotten a yellow) with a painless wiring circuit for accessories.

In the off chance my lights get left on, i'd like to stop my battery from draining so far down that i can't start it up.

What can i do (easily :rolleyes: ) ?

thanks in advance.
LJ

#2 ·
There used to be a device you could wire next to your battery to cut the circuit before the battery drained but I no longer see it for sale... I'll repost if I find something but all I'm seeing now are notifiers (which don't do anygood unless you're sitting there...)

#3 ·
Automatic battery disconnects are still for sale, I see them all the time and they do work well for their intended purpose. But if you have a winch, I'm not sure they are built heavily enough to withstand the >400 ampere load a fully loaded winch can draw.

If you can't find one, I have one in my garage I'll sell cheaply. I had to remove it due to how my battery and winch are connected. :)

#4 ·
nope, no winch here... so they're called "Automatic Battery Disconnects" ... lets see what google has to show me..

How do they work? I mean, when they "disconnect" what actually happens? Do you recommend them?

thanks guys. you all are worth your respective weights in gold. :D

#5 ·
What I was looking for was a device that disconnected the ground to the battery once the drain was at a specific point. I can't seem to find them. I assume that's also what Jerry was referring too.

(some will do positive but ground is technically safer... Ground should always be the first terminal off and the last terminal on...)

But basically, they just automatically sever the battery connection somehow once the battery power level reaches a specific point. I think most of them work based on overall voltage drop but I'm actually not sure on the specifics...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.