Antenna and Mount Opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Antenna and Mount Opinions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Antenna and Mount Opinions

I'm looking for an antenna and mount for my CB radio. I think the setup I'm gonna get is this:
Mount and Cable
Spring
Antenna

I Like this mount because it provides a clean install and the cable cannot be seen, whereas with the tailight mount the cable can be seen and has to run to where the CB will be installed (console area).

Some questions:
Do I need the spring?
Is a 3ft antenna sufficient?
Are the threads going to match?
Is there anything else I need (other than the CB radio)?

PolloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
newjeeperguy

IMO I would stay away from that mount and cable.
I have heard stories of that type of mount causing stress cracks in the metal around where it mounts. Especially since your wanting to run a 3/8" antenna on it.

The cable I would go with a RG-8X (aka: mini-8 ) cable which have much better shielding then the smaller RG-58 (whats pictured) and dont have that funny fire ring on the end. Which is harder to run because of its big head and doesnt get near as good of a ground as the ring type connections.

If you really want to run that style of mount I would suggest one of wilson's 1/4" antenna's or an Everhardt Tiger. Due to their lighter weight and some decent cable.

Antenna length: the longest antenna you can get away (ie: not banging it into everything) with the better. I run a 3 foot most of the time even on the trails and a 4 foot when I know I am going to spend allot of time on the highway.

As for not seeing the cable. I run the Tera flex mount and if you take your time and do it right the only places you can see cable are the 3 inches between the light and antenna

and the 2 inches going into the back of the radio.

Nowhere else in my Jeep can you see coax.

Running a spring is totally up to you. Some like them, some people don't.
Yes the threads will match up perfect.

HTH
newjeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
cands

Personaly I would go this route

Mount

Cable

Then find yourself a 102" whip and a 6" sping and you will be all set. As for a radio, I run a RCI 2970, but thats probly a bit more than what you want to spend. 1stop electronics has some pretty good deals on their stuff. The cobra 29 classic is a good radio after its been tuned up properly, I would stay clear of the ST models its worthless in my opinion.

http://www.1stopelectronics.com/
Lightbar

Jeeps are built, not bought!
cands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeeperguy
I'm not a fan of quoting pictures, but I have a reason for this.

So if I were to get this cable then the ring terminal connects to the stud (yellow connector in your pic) and the spade terminal (hard to see black connecter) is grounded to the chassis?
PolloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 02:24 AM   #5
newjeeperguy

Yes you have it correct. The 3/8" ring connects to the antenna stud bolt and the spade goes to a good ground.
However I would still stay away from the firecrap wire. That stuff is some of the cheapest rg-58 there is. Get some RG-8X, its heavier wire and has a lot better shielding then the rg-58 stuff.

Grab something like This Stuff and cut the pl-259 connector off the end. Run your wire where you want and install some plain ring terminals on it. You can get a box of 6 3/8" ring terminals at wal-mart for like 1.59

Or better yet find a local CB shop and get some RG-8X in bulk then you can have enough to run coax for the power wire and the antenna. Makes for a nice clean install and cuts down on the noise also.

Here is a great Write Up on installation.
newjeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
jayr

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeeperguy
Yes you have it correct. The 3/8" ring connects to the antenna stud bolt and the spade goes to a good ground.
However I would still stay away from the firecrap wire. That stuff is some of the cheapest rg-58 there is. Get some RG-8X, its heavier wire and has a lot better shielding then the rg-58 stuff.

Grab something like This Stuff and cut the pl-259 connector off the end. Run your wire where you want and install some plain ring terminals on it. You can get a box of 6 3/8" ring terminals at wal-mart for like 1.59

Or better yet find a local CB shop and get some RG-8X in bulk then you can have enough to run coax for the power wire and the antenna. Makes for a nice clean install and cuts down on the noise also.

Here is a great Write Up on installation.

Sorry to hi jack but I was wondering if you (newjeeperguy) could tell me if this or this will fit in this mount.

I have the Wilson 3ft flex antenna and the 9ft fire-ring coax on their now but the cable is too short! I just ordered the 18ft fire-ring coax but now I read this thread and wonder if I should change the order.
TIA,
Jay
jayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
gnetiv

Quote:
I run the Tera flex mount
Yep, I like that Teraflex mount myself. Looks nice and clean there newjeeperguy.
White Jeep Club Member #35 Since 8.7.05
/ | [____],
1---L-oOlllllllOo-
()_)()_)----)_)
gnetiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

About the cheapest mount you can get:

http://www.walcottcb.com/product_inf...roducts_id=298

Bolt to the side of your tire carrier, No One will see the cable, once the tire is mounted. Also, no one but you will see your quick-disconnect!

CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
budsudsbridge
1999 TJ Wrangler 

thank you !!! cny for the answer to my mounting problem....i just bought that same mounting bracket and was considering a side mount on my 99 tj but not 100% sure thats were it wanted to be....i kept searching the forums and found your post....thanks again for your help....budsudsbridge
budsudsbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You don't need any spring with a 102" whip, they flop around badly enough as it is. A 3-4 footer is more than enough, as long as you get most of it above the tub. Just rmember Tuning and good connection are crucial.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
jonalexdeval
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've also heard from a local ham shop that the RG-8X is superior to RG-58... although I myself just went to radio shack and bought some cheap RG-58 with a PL-259 connector on both ends like this:

Then I bought a firestick k4a stud like this (no spring needed):

A teraflex mount... here it is:

My firestick is 4', which just goes above the soft top by an inch or two. No problems so far. I ran the coax along the roll bar... a bit easier that way imo.

Don't forget to scrape away the paint on the underside of the teraflex mount where the stud touches the mount... that part of the stud has to ground to the mount (plastic washer must go above mount... that part cannot touch). The mount then grounds to the tub, so also scrape away the paint on the tub behind the light and on the bracket where it will touch the tub. I put a metal washer in between the teraflex mount and the jeep tub so as to ensure good contact.

You will also need a simple SWR meter to calibrate the antenna.

It doesn't have to be professional grade. It won't be anyway because you've got a lot of interference from the roll bar and jeep tub. The main function is to communicate with other jeepers, and that can be done without ideal conditions. Install it and then use an SWR to see if you're close enough on signal efficiency.

If you want long range communication then get a ham also... that's my plan.

Last edited by jonalexdeval; 03-21-2010 at 02:24 PM..
jonalexdeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got the same mount as CYN (must be a New England thing )

Unread 03-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalexdeval View Post
I've also heard from a local ham shop that the RG-8X is superior to RG-58... although I myself just went to radio shack and bought some cheap RG-58 with a PL-259 connector on both ends like this:

Then I bought a firestick k4a stud like this (no spring needed):

A teraflex mount... here it is:

My firestick is 4', which just goes above the soft top by an inch or two. No problems so far. I ran the coax along the roll bar... a bit easier that way imo.

Don't forget to scrape away the paint on the underside of the teraflex mount where the stud touches the mount... that part of the stud has to ground to the mount (plastic washer must go above mount... that part cannot touch). The mount then grounds to the tub, so also scrape away the paint on the tub behind the light and on the bracket where it will touch the tub. I put a metal washer in between the teraflex mount and the jeep tub so as to ensure good contact.

You will also need a simple SWR meter to calibrate the antenna.

It doesn't have to be professional grade. It won't be anyway because you've got a lot of interference from the roll bar and jeep tub. The main function is to communicate with other jeepers, and that can be done without ideal conditions. Install it and then use an SWR to see if you're close enough on signal efficiency.
This is a very good way to go & jonalexdeval's recommendations are right on.

RG8x has a little less loss than RG58 but with the short length of cable needed for a Jeep, there is zero benefit to going with the slightly heavier RG8x cable. RG58 works just as well in a Jeep, is easier to route, and costs a little less too.

I would not go with a ring style connector like shown above in post #2. They are more easily damaged than the PL-259 type of connector and more exposed to the elements. It's real hard to beat the screw-on PL-259 connector recommended by jonalexdeval that is on both sides of the cable in the photograph. The mount and Firestick antenna is very good too.

Finally PolloLoco, a 3' antenna length is fine. Even my 2' works very well on the trail after replacing my 3' with it due to Jeep height reasons. I can hear everyone I need to and everyone always says my signal is as strong as anyone else's is.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.