Another Factory Fog Light Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Another Factory Fog Light Issue

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 12-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
MarkJRust

Another Factory Fog Light Issue

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forums so go easy on me.

I have factory fog light set up on my XJ, when I purchased my XJ I bought new fog lights to replace the broken ones. They worked perfectly for around 6 months then one day they would not turn on. I'm assured that both light bulbs are not burnt out, because they both went out at the same time. Plus, the light on the switch in my interior still lights up... (Both are plugged in too :P)

Ways I've tried to fix it:

Replaced the fuse relay. --> Still does not work, switch still lights up.

I have another switch to swap in if everyone thinks that is the issue, because I've heard those go out pretty quickly but I'd rather not have to if there could be another easy trouble shoot first.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks, Mark.

MarkJRust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What wattage where the new fog lights you put on? Perhaps you took out the wiring somewhere with too much. Do you have a multimeter? Start checking continuity before throwing parts at it.
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ's have notoriously feeble wiring for head lights and fog lights. Inspect your fog light switch for dirty/damaged contacts or overheating damage. Check the mini fuses under the hood, one is for the fog lamps. Test for 12 volts at the bulbs. Test the bulbs.

If you continue to have issues, you may want to use you factory switch to power a standard relay and upgraded wiring that you purchase and install.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
MarkJRust

Thanks for the reply guys.

My knowledge isn't too great with electrical systems but...

They are replacements that match OEM fog lights, so it should be the same wattage.

"Perhaps you took out the wiring somewhere with too much. Do you have a multimeter?"

I have not touched the wiring, and I don't have a multimeter but I have access to a neighbor's.

I'm feeling there is an overheating issue on the switch, but would that cause the light (on the switch) to not turn on?

Then I'll check the power at the bulbs, with replacement bulbs in hand. (Should I place the multimeter to the wires running to the lights, or where the light plugs in?)

I'm really trying to avoid the trouble of rewiring anything, due to the fact that I'm not too good at it and have limited time + money due to school.

I will check the mini fuses under the hood, because I didn't when I changed the relay.

After doing all this, if i'm not getting power to the bulbs... is my only option to fix it is rewiring?

Thanks
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
MarkJRust

Good and bad news...

Checked the mini fuses in the power distribution center under the hood (with help of CJ7-Tim's diagram) and the fuse was blown. Replaced with a matching one, tried it out.. and nothing. It blew the 2nd fuse. Tried a 20amp fuse, blew that too. Not sure what is going on here electrically, but I assume this is where the problem lies.

What's the issue and is there a (easy) fix?!

Frustrated, Mark.
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the fuses keep blowing, you have a short circuit. If the switch overheated and melted, that could be the source of the short circuit.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
MarkJRust

Alright, I suppose I'll be buying more fuses tomorrow and pulling the faceplate on dash to get to that switch and swap with the new one.

I still am unsure about this though... if the switch was melted shouldn't the light not turn on?
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
MarkJRust

Bad news everyone..

Installed the new switch (even though the old one looked okay), and placed a new fuse in..

*POP*

Blew another fuse :/ Now we can rule out the relay and the switch. All there is left to troubleshoot is the wiring correct?

I really wish the new switch would have done the trick.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a short to ground somewhere. Start checking wires.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
broken , electrical , fog , lights , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.