Another CB Comparo Thread. Need Opinions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Another CB Comparo Thread. Need Opinions.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
ItsARubiconDay
2008 JK Wrangler 

Another CB Comparo Thread. Need Opinions.

So I need a new CB for my new TJ. I had the Cobra WX75ST in my JK, and thought it worked well. Did everything I ever needed it to, no problems in the three years I had it. But lately, I've been wondering if the Midland 75-822 is the better buy. I like the fact that I can unplug it and take it with me. But it doesn't look like you can hardware it to the jeep.(?) anyone know anything about this? Anyone have any really good or bad opinions on either?

ItsARubiconDay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You will like the cobra better. I have a hand held and used it in the jeep. It picks up ALL EMI noise even outside the vehicle.
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Handhelds won't perform as well as a well tuned mounted radio. I have a hand held and a regular CB. I live on about 24 acres and we use the hand held for "base" station, and a regular CB in my jeep and my boys go kart. We use the radios to get in touch if one is out and about and the handheld doesn't nearly the range as the others.

With out them being mounted they slip around and never seem to be within reach wen you need them.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
ItsARubiconDay
2008 JK Wrangler 

Neither one of these are handhelds. I don't want a handheld radio. The Cobra is a hard mount to the Jeep. And although the Midland can be converted to a handheld, I would hard mount that to the Jeep as well. I'm not talking about the '2pk radio' packages you get at Best Buy or wherever for $20-80. I'm talking about CBs.
I had the Cobra in my JK and I liked it. But I can think if countless times I could've used a radio in my hand and I'm 50ft from the Jeep. It's hard to navigate someone through a trail or up a hill from either inside your Jeep, (where you'd have to be with the Cobra), or running back and forth inside and out to talk. At least with the Midland, I can plug in a battery pack and step out for 30 minutes. That the flexibility I want.
I'm just wondering if anyone has the Midland and if so, and good or bad items to be considered. Also, the Midland isn't 'designed' to be hard wired in. But can it be? (I guess not, anything can be, right?)
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Handheld FRS radios work best for spotting work on the trails. CBs, are all very similar, all put out 4watts of power. Some models have better noise cancelling, and that is really it. Only when you move up to the Cobra 148/Uniden Grant, do you see a major improvement, because they also do SSB, aka sideband. That allows signals to travel much further. Otherwise, if you need more reach, you'll need to move up and get your license(ticket) and get a 2meter radio. Cobra 19s and Cobra 29s, and their Uniden counterparts have long been pretty popular. Handheld CBs suck, hence you can't hardly find them anymore.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsARubiconDay View Post
Neither one of these are handhelds. I don't want a handheld radio. The Cobra is a hard mount to the Jeep. And although the Midland can be converted to a handheld, I would hard mount that to the Jeep as well. I'm not talking about the '2pk radio' packages you get at Best Buy or wherever for $20-80. I'm talking about CBs.
I had the Cobra in my JK and I liked it. But I can think if countless times I could've used a radio in my hand and I'm 50ft from the Jeep. It's hard to navigate someone through a trail or up a hill from either inside your Jeep, (where you'd have to be with the Cobra), or running back and forth inside and out to talk. At least with the Midland, I can plug in a battery pack and step out for 30 minutes. That the flexibility I want.
I'm just wondering if anyone has the Midland and if so, and good or bad items to be considered. Also, the Midland isn't 'designed' to be hard wired in. But can it be? (I guess not, anything can be, right?)
When I search the net for images of Midland 75-822 it got this?

Unread 07-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

When I googled the midland, it came up as some hybrid walkie talkie/mobile radio. One reason mobile radios are larger than handhelds and cheap CBs, is due to the noise filtering. HF radios, like CBs for instance are prone to picking up every little noise in a vehicle, from the fuel pump to the ignition coils, to the injectors. If you want a CB, get a mobile and mount it. If you want handhelds for a spotter to communicate with you, get an FRS setup.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
ItsARubiconDay
2008 JK Wrangler 

That photo is correct. Is CAN be a handheld. But it is designed to also be a auto-mounted CB. The bottom half, (the external and removable battery pack), comes off and your hard wiring for power and antenna from the Jeep just plug in.
Which is why I think it would kinda be nice to use as a mobile unit and as a portable unit for spotting.
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it performs like my handheld it will be fine for spotting and shorter distances. It may be adequate for trail rides, depending on the terrain. If the terrain is rougher or you need to use your CB to try to link up with a group you may be disappointed.

Unread 07-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2x ^^
You will get better results with the mobile mounted units.
Hand helds usually do not have noise reducing circuits so you will pick up
Every EMI noise within 50 ft. I was messing with mine around the house when tuning the jeep
Antenna and picked up the neighbors AC unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.