Amps, Subs, and Processors - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-05-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
CindiS
2013 JK Wrangler 

Amps, Subs, and Processors

Okay, So I went to Car Toys today to look at speakers for my 2013 2 door JK. I have the cheaper 130 radio and I want to keep that radio. I want to up grade the speakers and do what ever I need, to get clearer sound, more base (not the boom boom boom base), and maybe be able to turn it up louder. So with that said, the guy at car toys tells me I need a sub, an amp and a processor. What is a processor and why do I need that? I told him I had never heard of needing a processor and he was telling me I could do this other little box (not sure what it was... he had me so confused at this point) and connect it to the amp and the sub. He also said I could just connect it to the sub and not need the amp but the amp would be better...but even with all of that, I need this processor. I kept telling him that sounds like more money and more than I need. He got another guy to come over and the told this guy that Kicker and Alpine make amps that have direct wiring. I think the processor was to get the components to use RCA jacks. But I'm not sure.

I definitely want to replace the speakers in the sound bar and do the sub for sure. I'm debating using an amp at this point. But I think I will need one for the sub. So then I have to decide if I want to get a 5 channel amp now, or do a smaller amp for the sub and then if I want to use an amp with the rest of the speakers later if just doing the sub isn't enough.

Can someone explain to me how all of this works. The amp, the sub, and the processor and is the processor truly needed? I'm not that knowledgeable about stereos and have no idea what I need and what I don't need. I remember years ago, I just bought some super big speakers (MTX in these boxes) and hooked them up in my 83 Chevy S-10 pickup. Just doing that made a huge difference. So that brings me to another question, what if I just added speakers like that in a box to my existing radio? Bottom line....i need someone to explain how everything works and why i need it all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 AM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Without knowing exactly what part the "processor" is, I would guess it is some sort of filter. The sound coming out of a factory stereo is pretty messy, filters will clean it up and allow you to add an amp and only send a clean signal to the speakers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: 2" RE spacer lift, 32"x11.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Pokey02
2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The processor could be a line output converter. See something like the Audiocontrol LC7i or JL Audio Fix-82 (as examples). It takes outputs from a factory radio and gives you RCA outputs for an amp and/or sub.

13 10a JKUR - Metalcloak 2.5" lift
06 LJ Impact Orange - Savvy 3" lift, Savvy UA and 33s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.