Amplifying a subwoofer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Amplifying a subwoofer

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
pnarkiew
2008 WK 

Amplifying a subwoofer

Hi there,
I'll apologize upfront if this is somewhat of a repost. Anyways, I'm looking to add a JL Audio stealthbox to my Grand Cherokee '08, and I have two different offers on the installation. One guy would like to install the sub with a JL Audio XD400 amp while the other guy would like to install it with a JL audio JX500. I guess my question is what are the pros and cons of the different set ups? The XD400 is "Class D" while i believe the JX500 is "Class A/B." I really dont have much of an understanding of car audio, and trying to wrap my head around the practical differences between the two systems is not easy. Lets just say that the guy with the class D is asking for 400 dollars more for the set up then the guy wanting to install the class A/B? Any suggestions?

pnarkiew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
TreyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnarkiew View Post
Hi there,
I'll apologize upfront if this is somewhat of a repost. Anyways, I'm looking to add a JL Audio stealthbox to my Grand Cherokee '08, and I have two different offers on the installation. One guy would like to install the sub with a JL Audio XD400 amp while the other guy would like to install it with a JL audio JX500. I guess my question is what are the pros and cons of the different set ups? The XD400 is "Class D" while i believe the JX500 is "Class A/B." I really dont have much of an understanding of car audio, and trying to wrap my head around the practical differences between the two systems is not easy. Lets just say that the guy with the class D is asking for 400 dollars more for the set up then the guy wanting to install the class A/B? Any suggestions?
Definatly dont pay for installation from them. Buy your amp online, they are ALWAYS cheaper than retail stores, unless there is a sale going on and you can get the amp locally for cheap. Also, INSTALL IT YOURSELF. You will save so so so much money and you will learn so much from it. Don't worry about not being experienced, everyone has to learn, and it is actually pretty simple. Just read everything in your instruction manuals, read things online, and ask us questions.

Now, I'm going to help you with amps.
First of all, what subs you powering? And what are there RMS and impedances?
Secondly, just because you are powering JL subs doesn't mean you need JL amplifiers. Personally I think they are overpriced, you can easily get comparable quality for much cheaper.
Thirdly, don't get either of those amps. I'm sorry if you took a long time researching those amps and you really think you have your setup all planned out, but those are two expensive for that little output. The two amps you talked about are very different as well, so I'm not sure you knew what to look for... The XD400 is a 4 channel amp...which can be bridged to 2 channels of 200 watts, which is decent, but it is way overpriced. The lowest price online excluding ebay is $380. Just too much for 400 watts. The JX500 is also overpriced and underpowered. I can help you find good lower priced amps that will power your system, so just post up your subwoofer model and I'll help you out
TreyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
pnarkiew
2008 WK 

haha first thing in the manual for the sub says to have it professionally installed.
Sub: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1580
And the amps were the ones recommended by the car shops, I didnt do the research. It was just their recommendations.
pnarkiew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'd look into an Alpine MRX-M50, 300 watts rms @ 4ohm, which is exactly what that sub is rated for.. sells for around $200 online, closer to $300 retail.
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
TreyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My suggestion would be this Pioneer, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...GM-D8500M.html its 300 watts at 4 ohms so that would match up with your sub very well. $180 shipped, all you would need besides that is a wiring kit, which would be $20 or so.
TreyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
SirGCal

Class D amps are much more efficient then Class A/B amps. However that efficency comes at the cost of clarity in the higher frequencies... Obviously not a problem for subs.

HOWEVER, in this case, the XD400 is a 4-channel amp. Not appropriate for this install.

The linked stealthbox (http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/13792.pdf) uses a 10W1v2 which is a 150W RMS @ 4-ohms. If that is indeed the box in question; then all of the formentioned amps would be too strong anyhow...

In the JL family; a JX250/1 or XD300/1 would be perfect, even a touch on the strong side...

Other cheap options would be bridging a two-channel amp. Like the Kenwood KAC-5204, Dual XPA2500 or Boston Acoustics GTA-502, all of which would be perfect for this setup, for example...

You're looking for ~150W RMS @ 4-ohms... Pretty simple.

On a side note; I wouldn't pay either one of those guys a dime... Not only because it's unnecessary but especially in this case cause it seems they know jack about what they're trying to make you give them hard-earned cash for... Take it to a real professional shop or do the homework and do it yourself. A simple amp install is pretty easy if you just follow the steps... You could wire up an amp, including the wiring kit and the amp itself, for less then $100 if you use one of my cheaper options as an example...

And back when I still did the jobs myself, accept for comp rigs, I never charged more than ~ a grand for laybor on an entire vehicle (this included head/amps/speakers/subs/building the box custom/sound insulation and stripping the interior/and any aux units they purchased for their setups... So these guys are seriously trying to take advantage of you regardless... Laugh in their face and do it yourself or find a real friend who'll help for a beer or six or take it to a real professional who knows what they are doing... But $400 more then 0 is too much for a simple amp job. Heck, I think Best Buy will even do it for like $70 or something... But if you break it down into simple steps, you can do it.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Conflicting info, in the stealthbox link it says 150 watts rms, and on JL's site for the 10w1v2 it says 300 watts rms.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=15
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
Conflicting info, in the stealthbox link it says 150 watts rms, and on JL's site for the 10w1v2 it says 300 watts rms.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=15
Nah, that is the thermal limit. Max. Not RMS or continuous. "There is no conflict." ;-)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

oh yup, misread that for sure, and didn't scroll all the way to the bottom of the link I even posted with a nice picture to show that.....
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

Just to chime in, and not to hijack the thread, I am on my third JL set up right now, and one thing I have noticed with their amps, is that they tend to stay cooler than other comparable amps, and they are typicaly smaller.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
amplifier , audio , grand cherokee , subwoofer , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.