AMP under hood? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > AMP under hood?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-23-2002, 09:51 AM   #1
Torn66

AMP under hood?

I am putting in a K&N come filer and therefore wont need my stock air filter box. I have a small amp i want to use to power my sub...anf thought for theft reasons no one will look under the hood for it. If i was to mount it in the stock fiter box w/ no cap- would i get enough cool air?

has anyone ever done this...Id really like to avoid putting it under the rear seat if i could.

I have the sub on trailer plugs so i can pull it out in seconds...that way w/ the sub out there would be no equipment in the cab...any ideas suggestions????

Unread 10-23-2002, 10:04 AM   #2
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Id be real cautious about doing this, water can get in that air box easily, especially cuz it sits low, if you wheel in water or even drive in rain water can get in through the front of the box, if you could seal it somehow and still get airflow it would be a good idea. But water is the biggest hinderance.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:28 PM   #3
White-Knight

Yeah...agreed water is the big problem. That and the heat from the engine - your amp isn't designed to be run around other equipment that is that hot. Plus, things tend to get dusty/oily under the hood - not a good idea if you're looking for a reliable amplifier. If it's got a fan, then it's definitely a bad idea. If it doesn't, then you're mainly looking at the connectors and potentiometers corroding. Either way, not the best of conditions. If it's small enough - perhaps you could mount it somewhere inside the vehicle say back under the dash or something? That will all depend upon your amp size of course. Otherwise look around under the plastic paneling for space.
'96 Jeep Cherokee Sport (Moss Green, 4.0L HO, automatic transmission and Command-Trac transfer case, Custom 4x4 Tow Hook brackets and hooks, Class III receiver, Blazer 55w Fog Lights). [b]Green Jeep Club Member #17[/b]
White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:57 PM   #4
Diggin'Taters
2004 WJ 

I have to agree with the general consensus here. Very not good idea. Have you considered a center console mount? That is a possibility depending on the physical size of the amp.
USAF Jeep Club Member #14
White Jeep Club Founder Member #1
REDNECK JEEP CLUB Member #1.1 and President!
Medical Cannabis Jeep club (I know I'm not the only member)
Diggin'Taters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2002, 06:56 AM   #5
Torn66

Not really- I dont have a center console.

I ws most concerned with the heat in the engine compartment. I can prety much seal the enlosere- but iwas worried about the lack of air and heat- and if those would have a big impact.

Its a precision power amp- not really air cooled and never really ran too hot.
Unread 10-24-2002, 10:20 AM   #6
FloridaXJ

Even if it never ran hot before, it will if your runnin the speakers wires from the hood to the back. Mount it under the dash, BUT DO NOT mount it upsidown..
Unread 10-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #7
jmeyer722

mount ti under the driver's seat. thats what i did. its gets enough air to stay cool and is protected by the seat.
1995 Jeep Wrangle Rio Grande, 4" Superlift, 32x11.5x15 BFG Mud Terrain on American Racing AR-136 Wheels, Pioneer CD Player, 12 Disc Pioneer Cd Changer, 2 8" Rockford Fosgate Subs mounted under back seat, Punch 100 amp under drivers seat, Factory hard top w/full doors, Factory soft top w/half doors, Bikini top, Duster cover, K&N filter,...More to come
jmeyer722 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2002, 01:36 PM   #8
monkeywrench

amp

i put an alpine 3522 about 10 inch long by 6 wide 1 thick i mounted mine under the drivers side of the dash with plumbers tape near the stearing shaft food fot thought
jamie 92 yj 4 1/2 RE extream duty 2 body 35-12.50-15 4.56 arb frt rr yorkair warn 9000 zenon flares tomken tire rack 4.0 borla header magnaflow exhaust flexes awsome CURRIE 9INCH HIGH PINION IN THE REAR WITH DISC BRAKES ITS SHAVED TO just added TERA LOW 4 TO 1 TRANSFER CASE KIT
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2002, 01:35 PM   #9
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I mounted mine right underneath the rear seat. Put carriage bolts thru the tub with lock nuts underneath. If they want the amp, they'll have to spend some time underneath it.

HTH,
Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2002, 11:30 PM   #10
brad bowen

i would have to say they are all right about the haet thing. i got a jensen 400 watt amp i i thought about putting it in the glove box with a couple of fans one to push the air in and one to pull it trough the other side but my amp is too big and j.c. whinety does not sell a larger glove box. but you can make one out of sheet mental and it does not take all that long . i had to mount mine on the wheel well and it is screwed in with some long screws that are made for a camper with a square head insert so if they do not hada that type of driver they will not get it
brad bowen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.