JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   Amp and Sub Solution (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/amp-sub-solution-1360584/)

KP_1000orTJ 04-24-2012 08:26 AM

Amp and Sub Solution

I am new to the site but I have been doing some researching and I can't seem think of the best solution for my audio system.

Here's what I've got: New Pioneer HU w/ 6.5" 60w Component Speakers in the sound bar. The way I understand it I'm still gonna need an amp to get everything I can out of the speakers. I also want to add a sub without sacrificing the little storage I have. I don't have the tools or confidence to make my first wood working project a sub box for the rear seat. So right now the I'm thinking a slim powered sub under the rear seat is my solution. I'm not looking to put "beats" in my Jeep. Just something to fill the lack of bass.

Do they make a powered sub with channels for my other speakers, or do i need a separate amp? Or is there another solution I'm overlooking?

Also this is a 99 TJ, no center console sub.

chriskeenan 04-24-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KP_1000orTJ (Post 13460100)
Do they make a powered sub with channels for my other speakers, or do i need a separate amp? Or is there another solution I'm overlooking?

Infinitys basslink2, the more square one, has an option bay where another amp can be inserted for the other speakers.

N8dogg 04-24-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KP_1000orTJ (Post 13460100)
I am new to the site but I have been doing some researching and I can't seem think of the best solution for my audio system.

Here's what I've got: New Pioneer HU w/ 6.5" 60w Component Speakers in the sound bar. The way I understand it I'm still gonna need an amp to get everything I can out of the speakers. I also want to add a sub without sacrificing the little storage I have. I don't have the tools or confidence to make my first wood working project a sub box for the rear seat. So right now the I'm thinking a slim powered sub under the rear seat is my solution. I'm not looking to put "beats" in my Jeep. Just something to fill the lack of bass.

Also this is a 99 TJ, no center console sub.

I installed the ARC Audio XDi805 amp under the dash. It powers 4 speakers and a 10" sub in the rear seat. I built the box for the first time and it came out well. I was nervous about undertaking it, so I found a cheap replacement on Craigslist in case I botched the build and used that one. It came out well, so now I have an extra to go back to the stock setup if I want to. It sounds great!

KP_1000orTJ 04-24-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskeenan (Post 13460108)
Infinitys basslink2, the more square one, has an option bay where another amp can be inserted for the other speakers.

Not a bad option, but not quite what i was looking for. I like the underseat idea for the stealth/security as I rarely have the top on. Also concerned about it holding up to the elements.

chriskeenan 04-24-2012 09:42 AM

As far as powered subs, Boss and Kenwood make flat style ones that might fit under a front seat seat, but they don't include amps for the other speakers.

Other option would be to build a box for under the rear seat and run a 5ch amp like N8dogg is talking about, for something more weather resistant you could look into using marine grade speakers and amps.

KP_1000orTJ 04-24-2012 01:26 PM

I was planning on just leaving the front speakers hooked up to the HU as they pretty much get drowned out entirely. So if I go with the box route I use a 4 channel amp, 2 to the rear speakers and bridge 2 for the sub? What size amp will work with my current speakers and what size sub will match?

Also, can someone give a link to a detailed in seat woofer box build. Like what tools will I need to buy/borrow from buddy.

Edit:
If I'm going to do this might as well try to do it right. Decided to go with a 5 channel amp, MTX JackHammer JH805 is the one I'm currently looking at.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236JH80...08#details-tab
37.5 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
75 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
150 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)

What sub, or two subs are going to match up and fit in the inseat box.

Also going to mount some 5 1/4" speakers in the dash.

Sorry, I have no audio experience and the more I read the more I get confused with all the different opinions out there.

The time now is 01:29 AM.