amp placement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > amp placement?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-26-2001, 07:03 PM   #1
RPjeepster24
1988 YJ Wrangler 

amp placement?

I have an 88 wrangler and I plan on doing allot to it as far as the sysyem goes, I have 2 8" boxed mtx's that well go perfectly on each wheel well, I guees sacraficing a litle back seat passenger elbow room, and i have a nice amp to put to it, I was thinking of putting it under the back seat, nay other suggestion? I also plan on putting a sub behind the back seat, has anyone done that, and if so, what size do you have and what size do you think can fit back there with enough air space for the speaker. thanks!!!

I am the owner of the "Jeepvette," My Life-Long Project is complete-Just in time for it to provide my new bride and I some financial relief, see the awesome video's and pics at my website: http://jeepvette.com/ I plan to get my wife and I a more family friendly Jeep, you'll understand if you go to the site : )
RPjeepster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2001, 10:51 PM   #2
eltj

Amp fit well under the back seat but you want to make sure the amp will have enough space on the top to disperse the heat.
You can mount 2 12's behind the seat of a jeep but you will have to choose a sub that requires little air space. If your looking for 12's look for one that doesn't have a real deep mounting diameter. Also keep in mind that the box will have to be notched for the latch. I have seen alot of people make boxes for jeeps and forget that one little detail that requires them to hack up the box or start over.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2001, 04:40 PM   #3
evilpsych

if the amp is small enough.. try putting it under one of the boxes with standoffs.. you can check my topic on "check this install out" where i put my amp under my boxes.. its a bit messed up, but i still have to run the wires better and pick up a piece of carpet to skirt the bottom of the box and cover the amp and wiring..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2001, 09:09 PM   #4
Roachen

I also have an '88 yj, and put some thought into a system. I built a sealed box out of 3/4" mdf (medium density fiberboard - dont use plywood, it flexes). it fits perfectly behind the rear seat and has an internal volume of .91 cubic feet. For one rockford 12" sub with about 800 watts, this thumps hard. If you want, i can give you dimensions. A blown rear axle set me back a sub and an amp though. I have seen many a system ripped off, so amp placement is important. Unfortunately, this means under the rear seat. You probably wont run into any heat problems. If there are no passengers, you could cruise with the seat tumbled up, but i dont think you would need to. after screwing the amp or amps, crossover, etc. down, drill out the inside of the screw where the driver would normally catch, that way a thief will have to litterally drill out your components. Pop-rivets dont work so good because of the carpet and the ribbed sheet metal of the tub. the only problem now is if you fill your tub with water, and beleive me, it happens. Especially when you say it wont. Roachen@hotmail.com
Roachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2001, 12:37 PM   #5
eltj

You can also get security screws that will work better than drilling them out to make it easier if you have to service any of the equipment. Most thieves will just pry the components out anyway because its quiker.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2002, 03:44 AM   #6
manhattanjeep

Kicker solo barics work great in small enclosures, real small. They are a bit pricey though, but worth every penny. Also keep in mind that your amp will likely get exposed to moisture, so keep slightly off the floor, and covered if possibe. A plexiglass enclosure with a couple fans to move air would work well.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.