Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

American-made stereo?

996 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RubiconSS 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a new deck and speakers and I'm curious which major brands are American-made?

#3 ·
MTX and Boston Acoutics are American made but they only make speakers and amps. Kicker is American but I'm unsure of where their products are made. You will not find a deck that is american made. Alpine (made in Japan), Pioneer (made in Japan?), Kenwood, JVC (made in Korea), Clarion, and Eclipse are good brands for head units.

#4 ·
Anything American made will be too expensive to put in a wrangler. Lately, all the high end, once American made brands have all been bought out (orion, ppi, soundstream, phoenix gold). They still carry the name but all the amps are made overseas. Be careful. Some will say "DESIGNED IN USA" which means just that. Designed (with foreign software) in a cubicle state side, then built overseas in malaysia.

I'm currently running a Kicker 700.5 amp. I'm pretty sure the circuit board had a sticker that read "made in malaysia" or something when I opened it. In it's defense....I've beat the crap out of it and it still works/sounds great.

#6 ·
I don't know of any head units made in the USA at all. We all know stuff is cheaper to build overseas. As far as I know Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Panasonic, Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, and Eclipse are all Japanese companies. Blaupunkt is a German company. Jensen along with Pyramid are US companies under ownership of Audiovox. Jensen and Pyramid build car audio but they are junk. I don't know why you are looking specifically for an American made head unit, but most of these brands make good pruducts (except for Sony, Jensen, Pyramid, and Aiwa).

#12 ·
I always try and buy Local and/or American First. It's ashame that the American Made electronics are so expensive though.
It is interesting that when it comes to Audio equipment, American Made IS recognized worldwide as the absolute #1 Highest Quality there is.
Glad we are still #1 in some things.

Levinson
Genesis
Revel
Audio Research
Conrad-Johnson
Kimber Select
Purist

Check out some of this stuff if you ever want a real thrill - It trully is like nothing you've ever heard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.