Alternator chirping. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Alternator chirping.

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Dickpalmer

Alternator chirping.

I pulled in the driveway yesterday and noticed a pretty loud chirping sound. Went to my buddies and he got out the long stethoscope. He said the alternator was really noisey. I ordered a new alternator, should be here sat. or mon. Today the check engine light came on but the voltage didn't seem low. Coincidence?

Dickpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

A chirp could indicate failing alternator bearings, or a belt that is loose or old and hard.

A check engine light may be an indication of the alternator failing but I would have the codes read ASAP to make sure there isnt any other problems to deal with.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Dickpalmer

I'm going to change the alternator when it comes in, resetting the computer while doing so. Hopefully it won't come back on afterwards. It definately sounded like bearings going out on the alt. Could that cause the brushes to not get good contact and throw the light from low voltage?
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Dickpalmer

Changed the alternator. No chirping, no check engine light. Took maybe an hour. Woo-Hoo, it's fixed.
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Freemaniz
2014 JKU Rubi

2014 JK Wrangler 

thats cool I have about 1,400 hundred miles on my 2014 JKU heard the same noise and the dealer told me my water pump is chirping

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.