air bag light stays on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > air bag light stays on

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
gadogs

air bag light stays on

First off I'm new here so not sure I'm posting in the right area so if not I'm sorry.... I just bought a couple weeks ago a 99 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0. I'm trying to figure out why my air bag light is staying on? My abs light was on also but I got that cleared. I took it to advance and they can't read air bag lights. Took it to a friends and he put it on his snap on code reader. He said he was sure what the prob was but to check online and see if I could find anything out. It showed 35 cluster fault. I've pulled the battery overnight light is still on. Cleaned the terminals so I no its getting a good connection. Haven't pulled the dash to check the cluster connections yet. I've read to pull the cluster apart and clean the connection as good as possible and to put dielectric grease on it? Any suggestions?

gadogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
gadogs

I have noticed the drivers side seat has been replaced... color is a lil diff but I don't see anything unplugged under there... not much room down there tho
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
gadogs

Anyone tried the paper clip trick to reset the light??
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
david_b

Have you checked the air bag fuse? My 01 grand cherokee has a fuse for the air bag that did that same thing. It just loosened up so I clicked it back in and the light turned off. Idk if you have already checked that though.
david_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
gadogs

Yea I've checked the fuse a couple times... its number 32 and 33 in my 99 in the yellow square box holding both the fuses... even plugged them in without it and still the light is on... any idea what color the connector is that's suppose to be behind the dash coming from the steering wheel? I've heard yellow but ain't seen a yellow plug
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
david_b

No sorry. I don't know which color wire it is. Maby check for a wiring diagram and it may show it.
david_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
gadogs

Been searching for a couple weeks with no luck... gotta get the air bag light to work right to pass inspection for my tag
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
conn_air7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Could be a clock spring problem, just a thought
conn_air7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
gadogs

I thought about the clock spring but the cruise and horn both work... the only thing that don't work on the steering wheel is the radio controls on the back... also I heard that the light would go on and off while turning the wheel if the clock spring was bad and I haven't noticed it... I don't understand why the scanner said cluster fault tho.... everything seems to work on the cluster just have that air bag light on... any ideas on maybe it is the clockspring or maybe there is something wrong with the cluster?
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #10
conn_air7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I think you have a good point on the clock spring. Only other thing I know to tell you is to check wires under you dash. Since the airbag module isn't showing up on the computer test, that pretty mucho rules that out. In my experience 75% of problems like yours are caused by a short somewhere. I'm no expert, but that's just my two cents. Good luck with it.
conn_air7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:02 AM   #11
gadogs

OK I will check and thx formur responce.... I've pulled the cluster once and all seemed good but I'll try it again since it did say cluster fault even tho everything looked fine back there to me then I guess I'll check this thousands of wires under the dash lol.... I've also looked at the wires under the seat and didn't really see anything wrong but I didn't see any running to the seat belts either... maybe the wires running to them are under the seat? Or are there not any running to them? I honestly don't care if they work or not I just gotta pass that safety inspection with the light working right.... after that if it comes back on I'll just pull the bulb... so if anyone has a temp fix that will last long enough for me to pass the inspection let me no.
Unread 01-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Djmud

Hi gadogs, I don't know what's the regulations on GA are, you may check on that on DMV website! cause FL and NJ, airbags, abs are not mandatory to pass inspection! That's not to say that you shouldn't fix the problem. Just a thought... and on my 2000 JGC laredo only happens if is cold out, I can't figure it out for the life of me...
Djmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
gadogs

Yea both airbag and abs both half to be working here also... gonna try a diff shop in the morning and see if his scanner gives me a better idea of what it might be
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
gadogs

Had it scanned again this morning and this time it said driver squib #1 circuit open is this gonna be the clock spring or what?
Unread 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #15
gadogs

Kinda wondering now... was outside with the radio going for like 30 mins while cleaning the inside out and it killed my battery.... wouldn't a weak battery make air bag light and others come on also?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.