JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   Aftermarket Stereo for a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/aftermarket-stereo-2006-jeep-wrangler-x-1826762/)

derekmiracle 11-25-2013 10:25 AM

Aftermarket Stereo for a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X

Hey guys and gals after waiting 25 years I finally got my first jeep!!! It's a silver 2006 Jeep Wrangler x series. Well it still has the stock stereo and it doesn't work. I checked the fuses and cables and they seem fine. I'm going to buy an aftermarket stereo and leave the stock speakers for now, but I don't know what would work best in it. I really like the pioneer series and I want it to be cd, Bluetooth, iPhone, and USB capable. All suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Bmel17 11-25-2013 11:46 AM

Check that power is actually going to the unit when you install using a multi-meter. There could be other issues other than the unit needs to be replace. Keep is updated!

Good choice on Pioneer :2thumbsup:

derekmiracle 11-25-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks!

I don't actually have a multimeter and haven't ever used one. If I run and get one, what exactly am I hooking it up to?

Bmel17 11-28-2013 09:02 AM

Black to ground and the red to whatever wire you're testing. It is a good investment to have in general. You'll use it for a multitude of reasons.

Check all your connections to the radio too. I had that same issue one time and it's because when I put the stereo back in the antenna ground came out slightly.

You'll like the aftermarket radio much better. I'm running a Pioneer AVH-X7500BT and couldn't be happier with it's performance over the last 4 months or so.

vanillathrilla 11-28-2013 09:15 AM

Personally, I'm a big fan of Kenwood's Excelon line. I have the KDC-X993 and love it! It has bluetooth, and I ran the usb/aux inputs into the glovebox to keep them out of the way. I personally don't use iphones or ipods, so I chose to use thumbdrives to store my music which I just plug in inside the glovebox. They're out of the way, and low risk of being stolen--and most importantly for Jeep owners, shock proof unlike cd's. It's a bump ride in my Jeep, and I don't have to worry about skipping, buffering, etc.

Pioneer and Alpine both make great products too, but I'm partial to Kenwood's headunits.

derekmiracle 11-28-2013 08:36 PM

Do you have any suggestions on where to buy a multimeter? I saw them at Walmart for cheap, but no one else sells them that low so are those no good? I'll definitely go purchase one since I plan on doing more electrical work also.

Yeah, I don't mind the kenwood at all, I've just always been partial to pioneer. My stepdad is pretty good with hooking them up, but I'd rather do it on my own so I can learn. Do you all recommend splicing and taping the wires on the harness, soldering, or what? If I hook them up and it still doesn't turn on, what would you all recommend?

Bmel17 11-28-2013 09:27 PM

Walmart one will work, I picked mine up at Harbor Freight pretty cheap and have had it for a number of years now.

I usually splice and tape myself. Cross that bridge when you get there! See if it works for now~

vanillathrilla 11-29-2013 05:38 AM

Hopefully you don't have to cut your harness up. It could be practically as simple as plug and play if you have the appropriate hardware for your new headunit. The last thing you really want to do is hack up a good harness to hook up a new radio.

derekmiracle 11-29-2013 08:06 AM

I had to hack the new harness up, it's a different size and won't just plug up. I hooked it all up, but still nothing. I'm going to go buy the multimeter today after work and see what I can find out with that. If nothing bad there I guess I'll have to trace my wiring and see what else it could be.

gily25 12-07-2013 11:58 AM

What harness did you hack? The OEM in the dash? The aftermarket head unit harness? Or the metra harness that connects the two? You shouldn't have had to hack anything.

Use the wire codes listed in the sticky to make sure everything is correctly matched. Also make sure your connects are soldered and heat shrinked or taped tightly. Make sure you are turning the power on (...it happens...), also check the fuse box behind the glovebox cause I thought there was a fuse there for the stereo.

derekmiracle 12-07-2013 10:50 PM

I had to hack the extra harness I bought from the store. The aftermarket harness came precut I just had to solder them together. They're all right and match I triple checked. There's just a fuse in my glove box and then the fuse on the back of the aftermarket radio. They're good, I'll try testing them when I'm off Monday and going from there I guess.

gily25 12-08-2013 09:36 AM

See if you can trace the wiring in the dash to make the the po didn't hack it to install a loc or power a center console head unit or something. Look under the carpets for stray wiring, to see if you can find evidence of aftermarket wiring.

derekmiracle 12-09-2013 11:38 AM

It had the stock stereo and never had an aftermarket Ive already tried that. I'm going to go get a multimeter and test my connections and see what that tells me

derekmiracle 12-29-2013 07:25 PM

Well just wanted to give you guys a heads up, I got the stereo repaired and fixed. The problem ultimately came down to my jeeps memory wire. For some reason it isn't staying powered, I had to splice it ion the power wire to get it to work. Now I can't program anything because it resets every time I shut it off, but I have a stereo at least. Easy way to fix the memory or not possible?

The time now is 03:52 PM.