Aftermarket Remote Starter question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Aftermarket Remote Starter question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

Hey everybody, just bought my first jeep a couple weeks ago and i found this under the hood:

i think it's part of the aftermarket remote starter? this picture shows where the cable connects to the hood. is it just the ground wire or does it have another purpose??? I've never seen a wire run like this up to the hood on a stock vehicle which is why i assume it's the remote starter bc that's the only aftermarket thing that the vehicle has. I've started to have an electrical problem and i figure it's bc this connection is all corroded? Can i just take it off and clean it with a steel brush, let it sit in a cup of coke and then reinstall with new screws? (i've read soaking battery cables in coke for 30 min helps?) My electrical problem is this: if my jeep has been sitting for awhile and i go to start it up and the headlights/fogs are on auto and it's dark enough out for them to be on, i get a grinding sound like the starter isn't engaging the flywheel correctly. Like the headlights are drawing too much juice to allow the starter to work correctly. Do you think fixing that corrosion problem would solve the starter/flywheel problem? Thanks!
Edit: it only makes the grinding noise if all the lights are on

'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune

Last edited by sixfoot9psu; 01-11-2012 at 05:55 PM..
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like a mercury, or some sort of gravity switch that disables the remote start when the hood is open so it cant be accidentally be activated while a tech is under the hood. I would guess it is sealed and soaking it will only do further damage if it is faulty.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

Interesting, I'll have to try starting it with the hood open to see if that's the case...maybe I'll just clean it up best I can with a steel brush and replace the screws and see if that helps...thanks for the advice bc I was about too soak it! And would have prob ruined it!
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Indy

That will have absolutely nothing to do with your problems. Assuming its a mercury switch all it does is tell the remote starter to not start while the hood is up. But looking at it, good guess your grounds are in similar condition.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That would be my guess as well. As I stated above, it is most likely a sealed unit and cleaning the outside will do nothing to help you.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.