Aftermarket head unit amp control wire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Stereos, CB & HAM Radios, GPS, & Electrical. > Aftermarket head unit amp control wire?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO 8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

DEAD DASH LIGHTS - was Aftermarket head unit amp control wire?

I'm replacing an old aftermarket head unit with a newer Kenwood, and I've run into a couple of questions I'm hoping somebody here can easily answer.

First, the new Kenwood has a wire that is supposedly to control an amp, but there's no amp in this XJ, nor any other controllable item like a retractable antenna or anything. So what do I do with this wire? I'm assuming I need to cap it off or something since it will be "hot" when the radio is on, right?

Second, there are two wires on the factory harness that I am lost as to how they correspond. They are orange, and very dark grey with a yellow stripe. I've been able to determine the equivalences for all 4 sets of speaker wires, plus the battery, switched, and ground, but then I can't seem to match anything else up. Anyone got a diagram or list?

Last edited by katuah; 03-14-2015 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Problem changed!
katuah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katuah View Post
I'm replacing an old aftermarket head unit with a newer Kenwood, and I've run into a couple of questions I'm hoping somebody here can easily answer.

First, the new Kenwood has a wire that is supposedly to control an amp, but there's no amp in this XJ, nor any other controllable item like a retractable antenna or anything. So what do I do with this wire? I'm assuming I need to cap it off or something since it will be "hot" when the radio is on, right?

Second, there are two wires on the factory harness that I am lost as to how they correspond. They are orange, and very dark grey with a yellow stripe. I've been able to determine the equivalences for all 4 sets of speaker wires, plus the battery, switched, and ground, but then I can't seem to match anything else up. Anyone got a diagram or list?
If you're not using the blue (antenna) or blue/white (amp) wires on the Kenwood head unit, either cap them off or clip them behind the spot where they're stripped & tape them off, so there's no possibility of them causing a short.

As for your factory wires, check out the link below (from the sticky at the top of this section of JF) & compare it to your XJ harness.

http://www.modifiedlife.com/1998-jee...iring-diagram/

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I personally wouldn't cut the amp control wire back. Get a small piece of heat shrink tube and put it over the end of the wire with about 1/4" hanging over it. After you shrink it and before it cools pinch off the end with your fingers so it seals it shut. Doing it this way will keep it from shorting out and leave plenty of wire if you ever add an amp down the road.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's less than half an inch, but good suggestion SnowdogMarc.

Jay
Unread 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, Snow, he said just cut it off below where it was stripped. That's what I always do, cut it off below where it's stripped and bend it over and tape it to itself to prevent it from coming into contact with anything. I'm glad I did that with my latest Kenwood install because I ended up needing it to power my factory sub once I got it replaced.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
If you're not using the blue (antenna) or blue/white (amp) wires on the Kenwood head unit, either cap them off or clip them behind the spot where they're stripped & tape them off, so there's no possibility of them causing a short.

As for your factory wires, check out the link below (from the sticky at the top of this section of JF) & compare it to your XJ harness.

http://www.modifiedlife.com/1998-jee...iring-diagram/

Jay

If only it were that easy. My wires don't match the colors in the link. Or I should say, some of my wires did, just not these 2. I'm betting they are supposed to match up with these things:
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Orange/Black
Car Radio Dimmer Wire: Black/Light Blue
but they are most definitely not those colors.
Unread 03-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If only it were that easy. My wires don't match the colors in the link. Or I should say, some of my wires did, just not these 2. I'm betting they are supposed to match up with these things:
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Orange/Black
Car Radio Dimmer Wire: Black/Light Blue
but they are most definitely not those colors.
Orange/Black to Kenwood's Orange/White

I'm not sure that the dimmer wire will work on the Kenwood unit. Mine dims once the headlights are turned on (there might be some adjustment in the settings).

Brown wire on the Kenwood is not used, so cap, clip & tape (behind the pre-stripped mark), or use heat shrink (as SnowdogMarc suggested) on that wire, too.

Jay
Unread 03-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe I should have been clearer: I don't have an orange/black. The online diagram says I am supposed to, but I don't.

I have remaining and unidentified, from the original XJ harness:
-- orange, and
-- very dark grey with a yellow stripe
Unread 03-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe I should have been clearer: I don't have an orange/black. The online diagram says I am supposed to, but I don't.

I have remaining and unidentified, from the original XJ harness:
-- orange, and
-- very dark grey with a yellow stripe
No, that was on my end, sorry...

What model is the Kenwood?

Orange to Orange/White should get you the basic "auto dimming" controls. When you turn the headlights on, the radio should dim.

Jay
Unread 03-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the Kenwood is a KDC-258U, brand new.

I capped off the 2 remaining Xj wires, as everything I was reading in searches said they were for "illumination" and not used in an aftermarket head unit.

According to the Kenwood booklet, I was supposed to just cap off 3 wires, a brown "mute" wire (for phone-enabled systems), a blue (steering remote), and a blue w/ white stripe (amp control), so I did that.

I hooked up the harness, turned on the radio and it works quite well.

BUT NOW I DONT HAVE ANY DASH LIGHTS.

WTH????
Unread 03-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #11
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the Kenwood is a KDC-258U, brand new.

I capped off the 2 remaining Xj wires, as everything I was reading in searches said they were for "illumination" and not used in an aftermarket head unit.

According to the Kenwood booklet, I was supposed to just cap off 3 wires, a brown "mute" wire (for phone-enabled systems), a blue (steering remote), and a blue w/ white stripe (amp control), so I did that.

I hooked up the harness, turned on the radio and it works quite well.

BUT NOW I DONT HAVE ANY DASH LIGHTS.

WTH????

There are 4 wires (unless you have a power antenna) not used (in your application).

Light Blue/Yellow (Steering Wheel Control)
Blue/White (Amp Control)
Brown (Radio Mute Control for Phone)
Blue (Antenna Control)

Did you try hooking up the Orange wire to the Orange/White wire?

Jay
Unread 03-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you using a radio harness adapter? Can you take a picture of the factory harness plug & post it (I use Photobucket to post pictures here) for us to look at?
Unread 03-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

BTW, these are the settings available for your Kenwood's display illumintaion.

DIMMER
ON: Dims the display illumination (and button
illumination*). ; OFF: Illuminates according to
the [BRIGHTNESS] settings

BRIGHTNESS
LVL 0 — LVL 31: Selects your preferred
brightness level for display illumination (and
button illumination*).

Jay
Unread 03-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #14
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

OK, so there was already a working aftermarket unit in the vehicle that had an adapter harness. (An old Alpine tape deck) Rather than buy another adapter harness, I cut off the portion that was for the old Alpine unit, and wired the Kenwood wires into that. Here's how ALL the wires are now running:

Jeep XJ harness --> adapter harness --> Kenwood harness

pink --> yellow --> yellow
red/white --> red --> red
orange --> orange/white --> nothing (factory manual labels this as "illumination" )
dark gray/yellow --> orange --> nothing (factory manual labels this as "master illumination")
dark blue/red --> gray/black --> gray/black
brown/red --> white/black --> white/black

dark blue/orange --> purple/black --> purple/black
gray/light blue --> green/black --> green/black
purple --> gray -->gray
dark green --> white --> white
dark blue/white --> purple -->purple
brown/yellow -->green -->green
green/orange --> light blue --> nothing (factory manual labels this as "power amp relay feed" )

I put the above in the order in which they come off the two OEM connectors into the adapter harness.

The Kenwood harness had the aforementioned light blue, blue/white, and brown wires, which were already capped off and labeled. I didn't use any of them.

The ones above labeled as "nothing" are capped off (folded over, black electrical tape wrapped, then heat shrink applied over that.

I checked the 5 amp fuse in the interior panel, it is fine.

Should I wire the was-green/orange-now-light blue "power amp relay feed" into my Kenwood light blue "steering remote" ??

Or do I need to splice the orange "illumination" or dark grey/yellow "master illumination" into one of the Kenwood wires? If so which one?

Note: I do NOT have the Infinity system. There was no "power amp" in this vehicle. I would like to maybe ADD an aftermarket amp one day, but not yet.
Unread 03-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #15
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a pic of the OEM-to-adapter setup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.