Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Aftermarket 2013 Grandcherokee Radio

807 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  TheHammer610 
#1 ·
I am saddled with the base Jeep radio and want to add a backup camera and HD Radio. I was on the verge of upgrading my 2013 Grand Cherokee based on Crutchfield recommendations, but they suddenly changed their info to say that no upgrades are available. Apparently with the 2013 model year, the harness has changed.

Has anyone any success in upgrading the radio? I really don't care if I keep steering wheel controls as I usually hit them by accident anyway.

#2 ·
Just for documentation: I successfully replaced the stock 2013 radio with an aftermarket Pioneer double DIN. I also installed a rear view camera and a mic for a Bluetooth connected phone. There were a few glitches, but it is up and running perfectly now.

Crutchfield tech support was fabulous. I am pretty good with electronics, but there were a few surprises and they patiently walked me through them. Their prices are great when one takes into account the discounted harness plus the free dashboard and antenna adapter.

With the rear camera, I can now see the hitch when backing up to connect to my travel trailer. The camera is much clearer than those displayed in a mirror.

This Pioneer (it is the 3500 model) plays DVDs, so I can burn 4GB of MP3s on a disk and run random play. This unit has rear USB and audio plugs. I ran the included USB connector into the center consol, along with an audio mini plug connector. I can control a iPod or iPad on the radio via the USB while it is being charged. Bluetooth allows me to connect my phone for hands free operation or play music. The radio has HD.

The wiring harness adapter allows me to retain radio steering wheel controls. It also notifies the radio when reverse is engaged, automatically turning on the rear view camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.