Advice Choosing Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Advice Choosing Lights

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
ltk1144
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Advice Choosing Lights

Hi guys. 15 y/o kid here. Family recently bought an 01 tj which will be all mine in a couple months. Super excited, loving the jeep so far. Long time lurker, first time poster but now that I have an account ill be more active. Anyway all the jeep has now are stock lights, no extras. I want to get some kind of off road lights since nighttime jeeping will be a big thing for me living in Phoenix, when the heat of the day is sometimes killer. And I need some help.

I'd really like a setup under $100, and from my research that seems doable. Things I've looked at are Hella light kits, style with the 2 round halogen lights such as the 500. I was surprised to find that KC has no good options for me since all of the setups are well over a 100 bucks. I would also like to look into LEDs. I love the white LED light, they look very high-quality. Any info or opinions on some cheapo LED light bars or kits with pairs of them would be super helpful. I certainly cant afford any big name brands unfortunately.

Also, lights are probably goin on the bumper due to the unfortunate price of the mounts by the mirrors. ($30-ish? please prove me wrong . I have the tubular bumber that I believe came on some tj's. It is chrome. I'm not expecting difficulties with the bumper since my friend has some lights mounted on his black one, which is the same style.

Finally, just a quick question, anyone ever hear of problems with auxiliary lights gettin stolen? If not , then I'll forget about it. But they seem kinda easy to take to me. Sorry for the long post everyone, thanks for any help!

ltk1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the board and congrats on the jeep! Post one pics. You do realize JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.

It depends on what you want to accomplish with aux lights to help select the correct lights. Whatever you buy wire them correctly using a relay and correct gauge wiring.
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
ltk1144
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I have definitely heard that acronym before, and I sure see the truth behind it haha. How can I give a better description of what I will use them for?

Cant post pics yet :/
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I selected mine for a few different reasons.
Light up back country roads and wildlife.
Spotting wildlife in hunting grounds
Night time wheeling
Had to look nice
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
ltk1144
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I will have roughly the same reasons for getting them. Just tryin to figure out its ok to get cheap leds for the cool factor or if I should stick with some proven halogens like hella.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a website that has the best prices I've found on LED lights like Rigid Industries. http://www.blackboxlogistics.com/index.html

I have also seen these amazon specials in person and was pretty impressed. Not sure if they were the 18W or 27W though.
18W: http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Auxili...tractor+lights
27W: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Power-Tr...Tractor+lights
Or http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-LED-Light...sim_sbs_auto_3

Main things you have to choose from when selecting light styles are fog beam, driving beam, or spot beam.
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
BEETROOT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 4" Rigid cubes and they are awesome... however they are kind of pricy. I've heard numerous people say that these LEDs on Amazon for $25 each are just as good.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Power-Tr...I2NEJPXQS71IBR
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Dustin7837
2011 JK Wrangler 

I personally have the round led 27w tractor lights ad they are awesome. Plus you don't need to use relays or anything like that because they are so low wattage!
Dustin7837 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.