post #1 of Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
14WiT
1998 ZJ 

Adding a VIC

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with none of the options. I have the GDU and would like to replace it with a VIC. I went to the local bone yard and tried three different VIC's. All of these acted completely dead.

The dealership tells me that the wiring harness should be completely compatible and the computer under the center console should be the culprit due to a programming conflict. However, the electrical connector for the GDU/VIC in my jeep is missing about seven wires that were included in the connector that was in the trashed jeep i pulled the VIC out of.

Is this a matter of finding the missing wires tucked up inside the wiring harness somewhere and adding them to the connector that goes into the VIC or could it really be a programming conflict?

I know the VIC is notoriously unreliable and largely useless when it is working, but this is a puzzle I have become determined to solve. Any help you can all provide is hugely appreciated!!

Tags
wiring connector , wiring harness