adding a sub in the factory sub spot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > adding a sub in the factory sub spot

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #1
vballman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

adding a sub in the factory sub spot

hey guys!

I just got a 03 TJ sport. I am very excited. Wanted a jeep for a while. anyways, it came with the 4 speaker set up. I am working on replacing the speakers. But i want to add a sub in the factory slot. i believe it is an 8" sub. where is a good spot to wire this up and what is the best way to run the wires.

thanks!

vballman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
SirGCal

The factory sub is a 6" sub in the center console. You can run the wires down the center from the dash under the console or down the drivers side and under the driver's seat.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
vballman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

where is a good spot to put an amp? any idea who makes a 6" sub?
Unread 08-10-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
SirGCal

JL makes probably the best 6" sub that I can think of off the top of my head... Kicker makes one too but it's more of a mid-bass driver than a sub. Still good though. Rockford used to make one.

put the amp under a seat or under the dash if you have the room. The JL sub only needs 75W so that sub would be quite small and you could probably shoe-horn it in anywhere. Even if you moved up to a good 8" sub, they aren't going to eat more than 100W (for any of them that would run in that small of a box anyhow...) The hard part is going to be finding an amp that will run that low into a mono load. Your best bet is going to be to look for a small 2-channel bridgable amp. (something that is 20Wx2@4 ohms would be close (which would be about 80Wx1@4 ohms))

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 08-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #5
SirGCal

Something that might be easier and sound a little better is an RF P18S4 (8" stage 1 punch) which can handle 150W and only needs up to .35 ft^3 sealed and an Alpine MRP-T220 (140Wx1@4 ohms) amp.

Small amp and small sub requirements with good matching power. The amp also has speaker-level inputs incase you are going to use the factory head unit. (you don't need a line-output converter to run RCA's)

Quote:
Unread 08-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
vballman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

For now I am giong to use the stock head unit. I want to replace all the speakers first and add the sub. i have a small pioneer amp that might work as well. does changing it to an 8" make a lot of difference in how it is mounted?
Unread 08-10-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vballman
For now I am giong to use the stock head unit. I want to replace all the speakers first and add the sub. i have a small pioneer amp that might work as well. does changing it to an 8" make a lot of difference in how it is mounted?
The process is the same (build an enclosure for it), the only difference is that the enclosure will be slightly larger (.35 ft^3 instead of .2 ft^3 in the case of the RF 8" and JL 6). You will still need to build the box. I'd use 5/8" MDF for most of it and maybe fiberglass for the area around the e-break.

Here's a link to someone who already made the console box for an 8" and he has most of the measurements up there.

http://community.webshots.com/album/63423573sSraTy

Quote:
Unread 08-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
vballman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

would it be easier to find a factory set up and just replace the sub?
Unread 08-10-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
SirGCal

Quote:
would it be easier to find a factory set up and just replace the sub?
It would be easier, but wouldn't sound near as good. The factory is also only 6" so your stuck there. It's also a DVC and I don't know what the stats are on the factory amp so that part might even be harder... The factory box is plastic though and not worth upgrading. Since your starting from scratch, I'd try to build it up. If you just want to go with a factory type setup, then just get an all-factory system and be done with it. (factory amp, sub and box)

Quote:
Unread 08-10-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

just for a couple ideas:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/upgraded-factory-system-pics-88858/

I went with the Rockford Fosgate 6.5" sub in the factory enclosure and bridged a small 2-channel amp to power it...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2004, 01:56 PM   #11
vballman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well i got a factory sub for it. what i am doing now is replacing it with a JL audio sub. I have to modify the box some to get it to fit but i am almost done with that.
Unread 09-21-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
vballman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

any suggestions on where i can hide an amp under the dash?
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:19 PM   #13
SirGCal

Quote:
any suggestions on where i can hide an amp under the dash?
If you don't have tilt-wheel, some people have had luck with smaller amps and custom mounting bracketry on the driver's side next to the steering column.

Quote:
Unread 09-22-2004, 06:17 AM   #14
vballman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ah that stinks, i do have a tilt wheel. i still may have to check it out. any other suggestions?
Unread 09-22-2004, 07:21 AM   #15
SirGCal

Quote:
ah that stinks, i do have a tilt wheel. i still may have to check it out. any other suggestions?
Get the smallest physical sized amps you can... The smaller, the better.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.