Adding Hard Drive Space - Uconnect 730N - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Stereos, CB & HAM Radios, GPS, & Electrical. > Adding Hard Drive Space - Uconnect 730N

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFREE Shipping Sale!

Unread 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
THespos
2013 JK Wrangler 

Adding Hard Drive Space - Uconnect 730N

Google is not my friend today.

Just got a 2013 Rubicon. Has anyone been able to hook up an external hard drive or upgrade the existing HD in the Uconnect 730N system? I'd like to get all my music on the internal HD, but I've got over 160GB of music.

THespos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
jeffddd

Hi I have this same problem, were you able to upgrade your hard drive space ?
jeffddd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a similar situation and use a Passport (Western Digital external drive - USB) for all of my music files. There are a couple of items that may help: the Passport must be formatted as a FAT drive. Most come formatted as NTFS. Also, the system in my GC natively plays .WMA files, so if you have them stored as .mp3 it has to convert them to play. You can convert your mp3 files to wma using any number of programs, including MS Media Player which comes free with some versions of Windows.

2012 Black Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
USN Club Hull # WK-13
TEXAS Jeep Club #29
Dr. Internet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
terpsmandan
2009 JK Wrangler 

The HDD is an IDE and can be replaced with a larger one. Looks pretty simple to replace and now they offer ssd. 128Gb for $110 on ebay. http://mygig-disk.com/index.php
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
terpsmandan
2009 JK Wrangler 

Instructions to pull the HDD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4l7YzyQ4p0
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
cajunrider54
2015 JK Wrangler 

I bought a replacement HDD from MyGig and installed it into my 430N RHB. It is a 128 GB SSD and after formatting by MyGig with the UConnect software there was 96GB for music. The rest of the size of the drive was taken up by proportional formatting to keep the drive usable. It takes a LONG time to transfer files from a USB drive through the IDE interface. This is not an indictment of MyGig, but of the IDE interface used by Chrysler/Jeep on these HDD's. Why don't they use SATA? IDE is ancient by today's standards. Plan on 4GB/hr transfer speed so if you have 60 GB that's 15 hours!!
After transferring all your files to the HDD then you have to deal with the clunky interface in seeing 5 artists at a time on the GUI; so you can imagine how long it will take to get to Zucchero or ZZ Top if you have 800 artists to go through. Again, this has nothing to do with MyGig, but the GUI designed by the radio software engineers. This is not a unique problem to Chrysler but everyone who deals with GUI design in dealing with large amounts of media files. One good solution I've seen is an index of A-C, D-F, G-I, etc. instead of dealing with every artist or song individually.
cajunrider54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.