Accessory Power Interupt/Switch Questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Accessory Power Interupt/Switch Questions...

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Accessory Power Interupt/Switch Questions...

I have an 05-Tj. I added an auxilliary fuse box identical to the factory one and installed it on the drivers side to use for my accessory fuses and relays. To do this I cannibalized the bone yard fuse box and used it to house the new aftermarket relays and fuses.

I run a Warn M8000 through the 12Volt Guy's interior/dash switch set up, (2) KC Daylighters, (2) 55 watt undercarriage lights, (2) 55watt rear/back-up lights and a CB off the bone yard fuse box. I supply the auxilliary/bone yard fuse box with power direct from the battery via a fused (40amp) 8g feed. I solder all my connections.

This set up feeds power to the 12Volt Guy's Tj Winch Switch which is wired per his installation instrcutions and the winch itself is wired directly to the battery per the manufacturere's (Warn) instructions.

Here's my problem: Upon returning from a week's vacation WITHOUT MY JEEP the 2-year old Red Top Otpima wouldn't turn over the motor so I had to jump it. That leads me to believe that the battery is being discharged while at rest and/or the alternator isn't up to its job? Is that correct?

If that's true, then as far as I know I can either replace the alternator and/or install some sort of switch to isolate my accessory fuse box from the battery when I want to. So that's where I'm not clear. I don't necesarilly want to cut off ALL power (master battery switch) when the Jeep is at rest i.e. the clock would always be wrong but I do want to shut off or limit the power draw from the auxilliary fuse box when the Jeep is at rest. Can/will someone please tell me what my options are and/or some suggestions?

Thanks,
~jL
Seattle

RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Rgrgoog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have on of these in my Jeep. Called a Battery brain and it cuts the power so you will always have enough juice to start your engine.

Battery Brain + Our Products + Type IV for Utility Batteries
Rgrgoog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
madrabbitt

Battery cut off switch, with a "keep alive" jumper.

Basically, you have a master battery disconnect, with a low amp wire bypassing it. The wire has some type of circuit limiting the amperage thru it. Its enough to keep your computer and clock memories intact, but not enough to allow a parasitic draw to drain the battery.
Easiest way is to install a battery cut off switch, and run a wire across it, with a 10 amp, self resetting circuit breaker. That will allow current up to 10 amps to run thru it when the battery is disconnected, protecting the electronics, but preventing a major drain on the battery.

You can either wire it early enough in the system that it cuts the battery off from ALL the jeep's electrical system, or further upstream where it only cuts off your secondary fuse box.

Doing it the first way, it would also be an effective anti-theft device, especially if you use a keyed switch. Any attempt to start the jeep, either by ignition, or by hotwiring, would cause the breaker to trip.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrgoog View Post
I have on of these in my Jeep. Called a Battery brain and it cuts the power so you will always have enough juice to start your engine.

Battery Brain + Our Products + Type IV for Utility Batteries
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
Battery cut off switch, with a "keep alive" jumper.

Basically, you have a master battery disconnect, with a low amp wire bypassing it. The wire has some type of circuit limiting the amperage thru it. Its enough to keep your computer and clock memories intact, but not enough to allow a parasitic draw to drain the battery.
Easiest way is to install a battery cut off switch, and run a wire across it, with a 10 amp, self resetting circuit breaker. That will allow current up to 10 amps to run thru it when the battery is disconnected, protecting the electronics, but preventing a major drain on the battery.

You can either wire it early enough in the system that it cuts the battery off from ALL the jeep's electrical system, or further upstream where it only cuts off your secondary fuse box.

Doing it the first way, it would also be an effective anti-theft device, especially if you use a keyed switch. Any attempt to start the jeep, either by ignition, or by hotwiring, would cause the breaker to trip.
While the Battery Brain sounded hopeful, the reviews on the Bronze & Silver Battery Brain left a bit to be desired. That said, I'm inclined to go with the Master Batterry Disconnect with a jumper. Tell me, where do I get a self resetting circuit breaker? Not sure I've ever heard of that...forgive me, but, it doesn't make sense! Self resetting circuit breaker? Help me out here...do they make one for an x-wife, too?

Respectfully,
~jL
Unread 11-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
madrabbitt

Actually, they're very common in vehicles.
Look in your fuse box, anything that looks like a big metal fuse is probably a self-reset breaker.

ATC Circuit Breakers

Type 2, 10 amp on that page will work for you.
They also sell a battery cut off switch and the wiring that you need to complete it.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
Actually, they're very common in vehicles.
Look in your fuse box, anything that looks like a big metal fuse is probably a self-reset breaker.

ATC Circuit Breakers

Type 2, 10 amp on that page will work for you.
They also sell a battery cut off switch and the wiring that you need to complete it.
Well, now I feel a bit foolish! Thanks to RgrGOOG and MadRabbit, genuinely...I'll do the master disconnect + jumper with the fused/self resetting circuit breaker! Thanks again, guys, your help was invaluable...and thanks to the Forum, too. For without the Forum some of us would be lost...

~jL
Seattle/Tacoma
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
madrabbitt

let me know if you need any guidance wiring it.
i've probably done enough of them in fleet vehicles, that i could do it with my eyes closed.

Unread 11-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
RARECJ8

here is how i have the heep laid out. at front is the OBA manifold and pressure gauge. then behind that is a master kill high amp switch on the hot lead to the Warn 8274 and next is a Blue Sea Systems Aux power kill switch that engages/disables the aux blade fuse panel just behind that. Hope this helps-- the Blue Sea switch kills all Aux power systems but the EFI computer, etc are always energized thru the primary power system.. It's nice to know i can kill all aux circuits with a simple twist.

here is a link to more than you can ever use. Good Luck!

http://bluesea.com/category/1

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
madrabbitt

really really nice and clean there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.