? About upgrading battery cables.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > ? About upgrading battery cables..

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

? About upgrading battery cables..

I'm in the process of swapping in a LQ9 into my rig and I'm looking at upgrading the factory battery cables with some from custombatterycables.com.

I'm looking at the 1/0 heavy duty set up with military terminals.

Mainly looking at upgrading since I'm going with the GM 160 amp alternator and since the motor is coming out it would be easier than with it in.

Was wondering if anyone has used these cables and if you used the standard SGT or upgraded SGX cable.

Punisher8738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher8738 View Post
I'm in the process of swapping in a LQ9 into my rig and I'm looking at upgrading the factory battery cables with some from custombatterycables.com.

I'm looking at the 1/0 heavy duty set up with military terminals.

Mainly looking at upgrading since I'm going with the GM 160 amp alternator and since the motor is coming out it would be easier than with it in.

Was wondering if anyone has used these cables and if you used the standard SGT or upgraded SGX cable.
Never heard of either? Wires a wire I mean some brands jip you by having a little metal but alot of casing. but get what you pay for military terminals wouldn't be needed there the same as all others may look cooler but unno.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

I've got military terminals, and they don't look all that cool to me, I got them because they're solid, simple, and it's easy to add accessories. Got a pair on Amazon for around 8 dollars, used QuickCable Fusion heavy duty cable lugs for the wire ends.
Unless you plan on running really really hot, sgt cable should be fine.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. Adding accessories was my main reason for the military terminals.
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Military style terminals are great! I did a similar upgrade with 2/0g mains/grounds and 4g to the alt and fusebox from jeepersandcreepers.com
I also got some extra 2/0g wire to run an BlueSea SafetyHub 150 fuse panel on the drivers side to run my amps/lights/horns etc. Fused the aux panel with a BlueSea MRBF fuse. I ran a circuit breaker on the alt wire. Seems to be holding out well so far, though I replaced the shrink-wrap with some better/longer marine stuff

In my opinion the SGX ages better and tends not to get brittle like the PVC SGT stuff. I think either wire would be fine if you don't run hot like Nicholas said/or if you have vented hood/maybe not if you crawl a lot etc. Only thing I see with the custombatterycables.com stuff is they don't have the same size grounds, which should be the same as the positives imho...

Unread 10-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Here's mine
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good
After I took those pics I coated mine in the yellow battery terminal coating to protect them. What brand is the red stuff? Does it work well?
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Looks good
After I took those pics I coated mine in the yellow battery terminal coating to protect them. What brand is the red stuff? Does it work well?
CRC brand, just the shelf stuff from the auto parts store. Works well enough, it turns clear when it wears out so you know when to put more on.
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Plastikote stuff I use dries harder and can be peeled off, so not sure on the long term protection it offers. I'll have to check and try out the CRC sometime soon, thanks.
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Those all look good. I just found some covers on prime4x4 for a good price.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.