98 zj system questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 98 zj system questions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-15-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
Teds98Grand

98 zj system questions

i have a 98 grand cherokee with the infinity gold system in it and my front right speaker is shot to hell and i wen to my local car stero store and talk to the guy and he told me in order to get "good" sound, which he means better then stock, with new speakers i would have to replace all the wiring and get a new head unit. Is he right? i really dont wnat to replace my head unit because i have the stero controls on the back of my steering wheel. also i have JL speakers in the back from a couple years back and they do sound good but maybe not as good as they can sound. thanks for the help
~Ted

Teds98Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #2
SirGCal

No, he's sales-pitching. You can replace those speakers and get pretty good sound. You could get better sound doing more but you don't have to replace the head unit. You NEVER "HAVE TO" replace the head unit. You can always use speaker-level outputs for amplifiers and what not. It might not be AS clean as it could be but...

Also, if you ever did want to replace the head unit, you can still retain your factory steering wheel controls as long as you get a radio with remote controls and a steering wheel input converter. (basically plugs into the harness for the steering wheel controls and you can program the remote codes for the functions..)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Teds98Grand

thanks a lot for the help, i knew the guy at tweeter was full of it. do u or anyone know what kind of headunit has the feature that would make it possible for the controls to work again? and i really dont wanna send over 250 to 300 bucks. and any one got any suggestions on what speakers that you have used and work well? Thanks again ~Ted
Teds98Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teds98Grand
thanks a lot for the help, i knew the guy at tweeter was full of it. do u or anyone know what kind of headunit has the feature that would make it possible for the controls to work again? and i really dont wanna send over 250 to 300 bucks. and any one got any suggestions on what speakers that you have used and work well? Thanks again ~Ted
Any head unit with a remote control. You'd also need the steering wheel convertion kit though. Something like the PAC SWIX.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.