98 GC ZJ alarm system... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 98 GC ZJ alarm system...

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

98 GC ZJ alarm system...

Hey guys, in my 98 grand cherokee ZJ laredo, I have the factory chrysler remote keyless entry w/built in alarm & panic button. Lately, and not every time, but most of the time, when I go to arm the alarm system by just pressing the 'Lock' button, the horn doesn't chirp and the alarm light doesn't flash, and when I shake the truck (which will normally activate the alarm) it doesn't go off, it just locks all the doors. What's causing this? Am I supposed to do something in a certain pattern, or what? It's not every time, sometimes it will still engage, in which the horn chirps and the red light blinks, and the doors lock, but other times, and its becoming most times, it doesn't engage. Would it be the remote's batteries going dead? but if it were the batteries, the doors wouldn't still lock, would they? I'm so confused, and I often have to park my jeep in bad neighborhoods, and would like my alarm to work if it needed too.. Please Help! Thanks

-Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
accord23
1998 ZJ 

Wow!! mine just started acting up. hope someone shades some light on this.....
accord23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord23 View Post
Wow!! mine just started acting up. hope someone shades some light on this.....
New remote batteries cured this problem for me. Now I've got a new Jeep with aftermarket remote starter and alarm that's tweaking, but I think I've got that figured out too; half-assed replacement negative battery terminal clamp. Just repaired it and all is well, for now... Good luck.

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
fljeepney
1998 ZJ 

I know this is an super old post,but my 5.9 did the same thing.I would check to make sure all doors are shut all the way,plus the liftgate and sunroof,if equipped.
My sunroof wasn't closed all the way and the liftgate wont open,so I shut the roof all the way,plus pushed the liftgate and problem was solved.
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
accord23
1998 ZJ 

Thanks men!! I was able to get mine working again. Found out that it was the tail gate not shut all the way...lol
accord23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.