97 xj park lights will not turn off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 97 xj park lights will not turn off

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
sandburr32
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97 xj park lights will not turn off

Well, new to the forum and I searched and tried about everything. Just installed new radiator and heater core, all was well, now park lights will not turn off, even with key off. Checked ground from hl switch, checked fuse blocks by air cleaner and under dash, all clean. I have NO rust. Removed switch..still on, have to pull neg battery post to turn off park lights, also pulled fuse #6 in pass side floor panel. Still have park lights. Any ideas?

sandburr32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandburr32 View Post
..... Removed switch..still on, have to pull neg battery post to turn off park lights, also pulled fuse #6 in pass side floor panel. Still have park lights.
Why pull fuse #6, instrument panel dimmer ? My 1997 fuse list shows a left (#7) parking lamp fuse, and a right (#23) parking lamp fuse.

This would make me suspect a short circuit in the wire harness, a faulty emergency flasher relay/clicker, a faulty turn signal relay/clicker, or a faulty multi-function switch module that operates the e-flasher/turn signals/high beams.

yello.jpg

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
sandburr32
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You are correct, my mistake. I did pull each fuse one at a time in the hopes that wherever the power was coming from could be isolated. Pulled #7 and 23 and the park lights go out. I agree its probably a relay or flasher so now I intend to remove them one by one and see what happens. I never messed with any wiring in the rear of the vehicle so I do not think it is tied in with a trailer harness etc mentioned in other threads, and I do not have a harness installed.
I checked the headlight switch and the ground is good. I am trying to figure out if all the connections should have ground with exception of B3 and the tab between B1 and B2 POSSIBLY (P)?
All the functions of the headlight switch appear to work except that the park lamps have power at all times. So I believe it is not switch related but?
I will start checking the flasher relay etc. Thanks
Unread 11-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
sandburr32
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, here is the answer to the problem. What makes the park lights stay on...power distribution box fuse #16 15 amp fuse, pink wire.. it leads inside and into the dash area. I had some loose stereo wires in there and the pink wire was grounding on something.
I went through every relay and fuse till I found that the #16 was the power for my short. A three day odessy to the answer. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.