8" sub in console?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 8" sub in console??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
nspurk

What kind of wood and what size are you using? I have some 3/4" MDF board laying around, that I was hoping I could use.

nspurk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2004, 03:05 PM   #17
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspurk
Wow,
I finally got to check out your website SirG...Very impressive.
Thanks!

Quote:
What is easier to do? A front/rear setup or put two or three subs in the back seat? Now I am considering not even using my console because the two boxes would be very different. What would sound the best and be the easiest to make?
Well, for ease, all subs in the trunk is the easiest. The seat and console have about the same 'hardness' rating but the seat holds more sub (3x6", 2x8" or 1x10").

Probably the easiest to make and retain the most comfort is the 6" or 8" setup. For the most boom, a pair of 8" might be the option. A single 10" isn't too much harder to make but the box must be modified for the depth of the sub.

Quote:
What kind of wood and what size are you using? I have some 3/4" MDF board laying around, that I was hoping I could use.
You could, infact it would make a great box. But if you're planning an in-seat install, then you'll have to convert the plans for 3/4" (they are designed for 5/8" MDF). Not a big problem, mostly, you lose a little volume and gain some weight. Adjust your volume back in the box height. Don't modify outside width/length though as it just barely snugs in the frame as it is...

If you are planning a console box, you might want to get some 1/2" MDF and fiberglass materials cause that's about the only way to get the volume you'll need. For a behind the seat, the 3/4" MDF would be an excelent choice. (Usually I only use 3/4" or 1" MDF for boxes but in the in-seat case, I made an acception for weight and volume.)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #18
nspurk

Hey SirG

Whats with the two boxes? The I saw that new one has a larger overhang. Would I be alright building the older original design? Im not an expert in woodworking. BTW what did you do with the old box, just out of curiousity.
Unread 09-05-2004, 04:08 PM   #19
SirGCal

Quote:
Hey SirG

Whats with the two boxes? The I saw that new one has a larger overhang. Would I be alright building the older original design? Im not an expert in woodworking. BTW what did you do with the old box, just out of curiousity.
The second box fixed a comfort issue with the first box and added .04 ft^3 more volume. You could build the older one if you really wanted but the difficulty level is no harder with the second. The build is exactly the same accept the top piece is wider.

I still have the first box. I'm going to make-shift some extentions for the sides to fix it's comfort issue and then sell it.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 09-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #20
nspurk

Just out of curiosity...Do you have a buyer? I know that your not finished with modifying it yet but I had to ask...
2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost
32" Goodyear Tires
Pioneer Headunit and Speakers
2 JL Audio 8" Subs
Unread 09-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #21
SirGCal

Quote:
Just out of curiosity...Do you have a buyer? I know that your not finished with modifying it yet but I had to ask...
Maybe, I'll know for sure after next weekend.

Quote:
Unread 09-25-2004, 11:39 AM   #22
AldoD
2014 JK Wrangler 

I put...

...an 8" Punch sub in the stock, factory sub-enclosure in my 2003 Sport. Yes, you heard me correctly... I put an aftermarket, Rockford Fosgate H2 Punch 8" sub where the factory sub was. I plugged up all the holes with silicone, cut a bigger hole for the sub cutout, and I shaved and burned down all the plastic ridges inside the factory enclosure to enable me to shove my new sub in there. I cut out a hole and placed a speaker terminal cut in there, too. I put weather stripping around the cutout hole for the speaker to sit on, and I removed the silver plastic thing that fits over the magnet. I'm not getting great SQ bass, mind you, but it's there, it beats the factory setup, and with my new Boston Acoustics in the pods, I can rock on the highway with the top down. I put my Blaupunkt amp under the dash, and it's very stealth.

AldoD

PS Thanks, SirGCal, for your help with this some months ago. Also thanks to Crutchfield for their expertise and patience while they walked me through my newbie questions and application. Great stuff from them, always. It's worth it to buy a product from them every once and a while if you need to use their customer support lines randomly.
Unread 09-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #23
SirGCal

Quote:
Box sold. Sorry I forgot to update this before...

Quote:
Unread 09-25-2004, 02:00 PM   #24
nspurk

No Prob SirGCal, thanks to your help and website, I managed to build my own which is probably better yet. Just waiting on finding some decent subs now.

Thanks again!
2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost
32" Goodyear Tires
Pioneer Headunit and Speakers
2 JL Audio 8" Subs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.