8" sub in console?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 8" sub in console??

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-30-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
nspurk

8" sub in console??

Hi,

I am working on upgrading my stereo, and would like to put an 8" aftermarket subwoofer in my center console. I just bought a console that has the cutout for the sub but i figured out pretty quick that an 8" jl audio subwoofer will not fit. I do not have the original OEM subwoofer. What is the best way to make one fit? Could I build a box to fit in there or is there some brand subwoofer that will fit easier? Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks guys

nspurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 09:27 AM   #2
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a writeup on that exact topic with pictures (click the "enclosure" album):

http://community.webshots.com/user/d0ug
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:07 AM   #3
nspurk

Hey,

Thanks alot for the pictures, it looks like you did a great job on your stereo. I really like the roof rack too. I have the same blue color on my 2000 sport. Do u think I could get the brackets for the console from the dealer? I'm going to start working on the box as soon as I can. Thanks again for the pictures and the dimensions. A BIG help!

Nils
Unread 08-31-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Doc Holiday
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You don't need an 8 inch sub. Just go grab the 6.5 in. from JL Audio. It will sound a ton better and it drops right in. That's what I did and it sounds great.
Doc Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday
You don't need an 8 inch sub. Just go grab the 6.5 in. from JL Audio. It will sound a ton better and it drops right in. That's what I did and it sounds great.
...except he doesn't have the console sub....only the empty shell.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
nspurk

I looked at them online... the only problem is I want to bridge an amp to my sound deck that I have in the back and the sub that I have in the console. I dont really need a lot of power, so I was checking on the Pioneer 240 Watt amp. I don't think the 6.5 sub by JL could handle the power... it would have been alot easier to do it that way.

Are you using the original amp that came with the sub to power the new JL 6.5?
Unread 08-31-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspurk
Hi,

I am working on upgrading my stereo, and would like to put an 8" aftermarket subwoofer in my center console. I just bought a console that has the cutout for the sub but i figured out pretty quick that an 8" jl audio subwoofer will not fit. I do not have the original OEM subwoofer. What is the best way to make one fit? Could I build a box to fit in there or is there some brand subwoofer that will fit easier? Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks guys
You can fit a JL 8W0 in there with the right construciton. KaiserJeep linked you to a good source for that install.

As for the amp, The JL 8W0 and 6.5" have the exact same power ratings. They are actually the same sub with different cone sizes attached. Same magnet and coil setup effictively. The 8" needs .375Ft^3 while the 6.5" only needs .175 ft^3 of box volume to operate efficently. Both operate on 75W RMS power in 4 or 8-ohm coils (available either way).

The other option (sticking wiht JL anyhow) is a JL 8W3v2 with is a DVC sub which can take 125W RMS total.

Quote:
I looked at them online... the only problem is I want to bridge an amp to my sound deck that I have in the back and the sub that I have in the console. I dont really need a lot of power, so I was checking on the Pioneer 240 Watt amp. I don't think the 6.5 sub by JL could handle the power... it would have been alot easier to do it that way.

Are you using the original amp that came with the sub to power the new JL 6.5?
Which amp specificaly are you looking at? I don't have a listing for a 240W pioneer currently. The only older one I can think of is the GM-X372 2-channel amp which you really wouldn't want to run subs and other speakers. Try-way setups are ok but you lose alot of functionality. It would also only put out about 60W to the sub if it is even capable of try-way. If so, it's an option, but not a great one..

What is your budget and overall plan, perhaps we can help with ideas...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:09 PM   #8
nspurk

THanks for the info...well my budget is I'm 17 and have a part time job. Most of my money gets plundered away or goes to my jeep anyway...I'm really open to all of the options but I don't want a huge system. I want to keep the little trunk space that I have for now.

I was considering the Pioneer amp that you mentioned. But just for the two subwoofers. For now I am happy with the sound that my other Pioneer speakers put out.

I kinda would like two subs, one in the front and the other in the back, both powered by one amp. Would the 6.5 JL sub line up with the factory holes in the console? and would I need to build a box inside the console?? What other amps are good options for these subs? I already have a 8" JL audio W0 in the back.

THanks again!
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
nspurk

By the way right now I am not concerned with the tweeters that are in the sound deck...I was goin to worry about them later. If I even keep them powered. I think they suck...
Unread 09-01-2004, 07:25 AM   #10
SirGCal

Quote:
THanks for the info...well my budget is I'm 17 and have a part time job. Most of my money gets plundered away or goes to my jeep anyway...I'm really open to all of the options but I don't want a huge system. I want to keep the little trunk space that I have for now.

I was considering the Pioneer amp that you mentioned. But just for the two subwoofers. For now I am happy with the sound that my other Pioneer speakers put out.

I kinda would like two subs, one in the front and the other in the back, both powered by one amp. Would the 6.5 JL sub line up with the factory holes in the console? and would I need to build a box inside the console?? What other amps are good options for these subs? I already have a 8" JL audio W0 in the back.

THanks again!
Well, that pioneer amp would put out 120W bridged which would run two JL 6w0's or 8w0's or one 8W3v2. It's only 4-ohms stable bridged though and I'll wager your current 8W0 is 4-ohms. Running just that one sub with the amp will over-power the sub and two of them couldn't be wired together for a mono signal and optimum power. You could wire them each to their own channel and get only 90-100W overall power though...

Don't mix and match subs though. If you want two, use two 8w0's or two 6w0's. Mixing and matching is much more complicated and doing it with subs of such similar size will be very difficult. (usually a mix would be 8" and 12" or so..) The resulting sound if not perfect would sound horrible and doing it on the same amp would be nearly impossible to get the right balances and frequencies.

so, add another 8W0 to the console and run them off each channel individually or: Sell your 4-ohm 8W0 (unless it's an 8-ohm, then keep it and get another one.) and get two 8-ohm 8W0's and make an in-seat setup or front/rear setup (I don't like seporating the subs like that myself though...) and wire them in parallel to get full power to each one.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 09-01-2004, 01:20 PM   #11
nspurk

I really like your ideas. Sticking with the Pioneer amp, I think I will start by building the box for the 8" Sub in the console.

What about the size of the boxes? How do you determine how much space is inside the box? You mention .375^3, would this be enough space for the JL 8" W0?

I was also thinking about just selling the sound deck by mopar that I have since I have to get an 8 ohm sub and buying an add a trunk. I've seen people make boxes for inside those still leaving enough room for some tools and such. I would still keep the same Front/Rear setup. It would imagine that it would sound better.
Unread 09-01-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
nspurk

Where can I find a set of 8" JL Audio 8ohm subs at a good price?
Unread 09-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #13
SirGCal

Quote:
I really like your ideas. Sticking with the Pioneer amp, I think I will start by building the box for the 8" Sub in the console.

What about the size of the boxes? How do you determine how much space is inside the box? You mention .375^3, would this be enough space for the JL 8" W0?

I was also thinking about just selling the sound deck by mopar that I have since I have to get an 8 ohm sub and buying an add a trunk. I've seen people make boxes for inside those still leaving enough room for some tools and such. I would still keep the same Front/Rear setup. It would imagine that it would sound better.
I have a volume calculator to help you. Get the 'Area Volume Calculator' here: http://www.sirgcal.com/vb/

If you do a front/rear setup, one important thing is to make sure both boxes are as identical as possible. Location alone will throw off the sound some but different boxes will be even more noticable. (remember, bass is below the stereo-noticable wavelengths. Also the waves are so long that you should never be able to tell where they are comming from in a car anyhow. If you can, then the setup is poor. I'm not sure what your expecting from the front/rear setup but; both in the same box and/or area would be easier and overall better. Just FYI...)

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2004, 01:27 PM   #14
SirGCal

Quote:
Where can I find a set of 8" JL Audio 8ohm subs at a good price?
I'd have to check around. I get different pricing than most people but I can not use it for outside sources... (sorry). Hit up the web though, there are many good sites that sell JL stuff.

Quote:
Unread 09-02-2004, 02:26 PM   #15
nspurk

Wow,
I finally got to check out your website SirG...Very impressive. What is easier to do? A front/rear setup or put two or three subs in the back seat? Now I am considering not even using my console because the two boxes would be very different. What would sound the best and be the easiest to make?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.