6" Eagle Eye HID - Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 6" Eagle Eye HID - Review

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

6" Eagle Eye HID - Review (pic's added)

First of all. A bit of how I will use these (or plan on using these). I live in Northern Canada. Its dark all winter long, and animals are plentiful (a moose (or buffalo) will total the jeep - and there's lots of them). I do enough night driving locally that I want to be able to see what's in front of me. When driving south (1500 miles), I try to do as much night driving as possible. The roads are all single lane unlight highways. Traffic consists of lots of motorhomes (or other RVs) and semi's (everything is trucked up here). I've now tried two different brands of lights. Some Rugged Ridge HIDs (both 4" and 7") and some Lightforce 170 Strikers.

The 7" RRs (in a euro/driving beam pattern) were decent, but big (the 7" seems to be a lot bigger than the 6" EE). The Lightforce lights were good and adjustable. If it wasn't for the $300 per light price tag (for HIDs) I'd happily get those (and still might down the road for the roof rack). The EE's kicked the snot out of the halogen 170's for distance though.

Testing was done in total darkness, while snowing (). I hooked the light directly to the battery, and held it at hood level.

The lights have an internal ballast, and from what I can tell, a very simple easy to use mounting/aiming bracket (I haven't mounted these yet, nor have I played with the bracket at all). However from what I can see, it will be very easy to direct these lights exactly where I want them. The lights come with a nice blackout cover, which will likely be needed (at least up here) due to the rocks on the road. The lens's are glass.

I picked up three of these lights in a spot beam pattern for the front of my jeep. Tonight I had the chance to take them out to the local gun range to see what sort of distance they would get.

I figured for the price (RDM = $139 each) 300-400 yards of useable light would be acceptable. The single light hit 400 yrds like it was nothing. Had it not been snowing I believe I would have light up 500 yrds without any issues. As it was, I could barely make out the tree's at 500 yrds. If the gun range was longer (and it wasn't snowing), I firmly believe it would have gone well past 500 yrds. The light keeps a nice tight spot beam the whole way out.

The only thing I didn't quite expect was how tight the beam pattern held. There's very little residual light escaping. This means that I believe someone would have to use the spot beam light with some driving or flood beam lights to truly cover the road & ditches.

Fortunately for me, I had planned on using four 4" RR lights to cover this (I like LOTS of light).

Pros:
-Well priced at $139 each
-Looks good
-Internal Ballast
-500yard range
-At 6" its still fairly compact
-Nice tight spot beam
-Decent aiming bracket

Cons:
-No residual light escaping the beam pattern (would have to work this with some other lights (driving/flood) to cover the ditches, etc
-Very tight beam pattern (they'll light up the end of that straight stretch... but not much else)
-Glass lens - I'll be keeping the nice blackout cover on until its time to use these
-No after market tinted lens (am thinking amber)

All in all a great light for the price. I plan on using at least 3 of these (have been thinking of getting a 4th lately) on the front of my jeep. Fortunately for me, I plan on using some (four) 4" HID driving lights (driving/euro beam pattern) to get the corners and ditches (two on the bumper, two on the window frame). These spots are only to reach way out there... which they appear to do very well. I'll attempt to take some pictures one night when it's not snowing. However in the past I've had horrible luck taking a picture of lights and their output.

All in all, great light. Would recommend to anyone looking for HID lighting that won't break the bank. When I looked around (RDM had the best pricing).

Eagle Eye - 6" HID Internal Ballast Off Road Light - FREE SHIPPING!

Last edited by riptide; 03-09-2010 at 12:04 AM..
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Awesome review. I might have to pick some up cause I love alot of light as well. 4 would look great on the front of my future ARB bumper I think. And 140 for an HID light is a great price. Thanks for sharing.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

NP. I'm always hesitant when buying lights. Everyone says theirs are great (both users and retailers)... but when I ask about distance (everything looks great at 75 yrds), they either don't have any, or will just say they go a long way (as one retailer did). But jeeps have such ****ty lighting that any after market light is an improvement. And if someone hasn't done a lot (or any) night driving where there's a ****load of animals (moose,caribou,deer,etc) then some basic lights might be all they need. I want more than that, and am always wondering about lights with reviews of "great lights, lights up everything...". Give me a picture, or give me some specifics.

These were the spot beams. If I wasn't using my RR 4" HIDs to get the ditches, I think I'd have to consider going with 2+2 (driving/spot). If I had only bought the 2 lights (spot beams) as I had originally planned, I would definitely be getting 2 driving beams to have four of these lights on the front bumper. Because I already have 3 spots, I'll get a 4th to keep things the same, and use other HID lights I have to compensate.
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well I finally got around to making my light bar (or rather my buddy who welds did... but I helped ). The fact that I have 12 hrs of driving to do next week for work really motivated me to get this done... The lights will get a quick and dirty wiring job later this week (I still suck at taking night pics but will try again shortly). The final (read proper) wiring job will get done once I have the rest of the lights (2 more EEs to come), and my wiring supplies arrive).

The bottom tabs are welded to the bumper with 2 small 1/4" bolts holding the upper part to the bottom tabs. The idea behind using such small bolts is that if I do hit something hard, it'll break the bolts instead of the lights or anything else... this also allows for easy access to the grill or easy removal. The wires for the lights will all have some sort of disconnect thingy attached so once the light bar is removed, I can get it out of the way.

Mounted on the outside are two RR 4" HIDs. The inner three lights are 6" (5.5" really) Eagle Eye HID spots - see sig for more details. For now the RRs will be to cover the ditches. In the very near future (ie once I find the other two 4" HIDs), my other 2 RR 4" HIDs will get mounted on the inside of the bar (tabs need to be added). Part of the reason its so high is to accommodate lights there. The RRs will be used for the in town/short highway stuff, while the EEs will be used for longer trips, etc.

I still believe part of the reason my LF lights got weaker over time is due to sunlight exposure... This time around other than the RR lights, I plan on keeping all my lights blacked out until they're needed. The EEs also have a glass lens, and I want to protect them from rock damage.

Anyway here's some pics...

And finally... we all know that not only does a snazy light bar add at least 5HP per light, but that it'll also compensate for the crappy tires I have...
Now if only the tires had arrived on time like they were suppose to... sigh... Thankfully I always have my SOS Shovel with me to bail me out...

Unread 03-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

these ain't cheap, but if you want light and would rather use 2 instead of 5. then these might be for you. Warning Mounties will be looking for UFO if someone sees you driving.
HID 50 Watt Light -HID-6600-S - 6.3 X 5.9 inches - 4500 lumens - 12/24VDC - SPOT BEAM 3000'X250' - www.MagnaLight.com Spotlights and Flashlights

with the snow amount, you might even consider the "Marine" models. They have up to 7o Watt models.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

^those are amazazing

|ProComp|Rokmen|Zone|MetalCloak|RockHard|Mastercraft|TomWoods|Novak|TenFactory|Synergy|
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice light, but at $435 per light (there's others on that site ranging between $330 & $510)... I'll stick with the EEs at $139. Not only are they cheap (initially figure 2 or 3 lights), they're cheaper to replace should they ever get damaged or stolen.

While not opposed to paying top dollar for lights... if you don't have too, why do it?
Unread 03-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
phdsk8
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If 129 buck light works then why spend 300-400. I think these hidx/rr 4 inch, 7 inch and eagle lights are all made by one company in china. They all look the same.
phdsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
lander
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey! Put your seat belt on next time!
lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #10
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdsk8 View Post
If 129 buck light works then why spend 300-400. I think these hidx/rr 4 inch, 7 inch and eagle lights are all made by one company in china. They all look the same.
The EEs are pretty different than the RRs/HIDx. Eagle Eye is a US based company (although I expect the lights are made in China). But they seem to be very friendly and quick to respond to emails.

If you take any stock in what HIDx has to say, their lights are different than RRs. If I were to replace the RRs I'd get HIDx. I'm not sure if they're any better, but HIDx does at least have a track record for their durability. With the RRs I had, 2 of 6 were DOA. Looking around, I can see that RR has a light that's very similar to the EE halogen lights...

Last edited by riptide; 03-02-2010 at 05:18 AM..
Unread 03-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

When they are rated for thousands of hours of duty, on mining equipment. Just a thought. Plus 50w in a 5 inch size as opposed to 35w in a 7".
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
When they are rated for thousands of hours of duty, on mining equipment. Just a thought. Plus 50w in a 5 inch size as opposed to 35w in a 7".
The EEs are 35w/6" but the actual size is 5.5".
Unread 03-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
jonalexdeval
2004 TJ Wrangler 

500 yards! Jeez. I have a windshield mounted lightbar with six lights up there... all 6" 100W driving halogens. (previous owner). Was a tad disappointed with the "flood" capacity when I took them out at night last summer.

So it would be worth it to replace with Eagle Eye? Say 2 floods, 2 spots, 2 driving, all HID? I'd like to be able to really light up everything around... any sites with photo comparison between HIDs and halogens?

Are spots the same type as "long range" KC lights?
jonalexdeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalexdeval View Post
500 yards! Jeez. I have a windshield mounted lightbar with six lights up there... all 6" 100W driving halogens. (previous owner). Was a tad disappointed with the "flood" capacity when I took them out at night last summer.

So it would be worth it to replace with Eagle Eye? Say 2 floods, 2 spots, 2 driving, all HID? I'd like to be able to really light up everything around... any sites with photo comparison between HIDs and halogens?

Are spots the same type as "long range" KC lights?
Not sure above the KC lights. But if you want light, I'd definitely say grab a couple of these and see what you think. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Right now I have the 3 spots and 2 RR driving lights. Aimed incorrectly, they still light up everything. To the extent that while traveling in the wee hours on Friday, I got passed by some little car with some aux lights (they seemed bright in the mirror as he was coming up on me). I waited till he was around the corner ahead of me, then turned my lights back on. When I went around the corner, I found the car pulled over. He then followed me (I was doing around 110kph/~63mph) over 100km(60mi) till it started getting light out. I assume because he wanted the light from my lights...

I think once I'm done I'll have 4 EE spots on the bumper light bar (mainly for looks, as the 3 there now work really well), and 2 EE driving beams on the WS. I'll still keep at least 2 of the 4" RRs but that's only because I'll keep those uncovered, where as the EEs will remain covered until needed.

From my experience with HID lights on the roof rack, they can be a ***** to aim perfectly as they're pointed downwards. These lights are a pain to aim correctly anyway as you're using a focal point of 300+ yrds. I've aimed them 4-5 times now, and they're still off. The other thing I've noticed with lights on the roof is that because you're aiming the lights so far down the road, the section of road right in front of you doesn't get lit up the same way that the bumper lights light it up.

The spots... just imagine a circle of light... the further away it is, the bigger it gets...

I can't speak for the driving beams yet as I haven't tried them... however I would expect them to have similar results to the spots. Good distance (I expect at least 350/400 yrds), with a wide beam pattern.

As for the floods... I'm not sure I believe in using an HID flood. I want the HIDs for the light color, and the distance I'm getting with the light. With the floods, I don't think you'd get much more than 100 yrds (at best - but this is just a complete guess). And even getting that I think would be too expensive (~260 for 2) for the results.

If you're looking to go this route, try a couple of the spots and driving beams. Then just angle the driving beams to around 1:00 & 11:00 positions. That's what I'm using the RRs for right now... and they light up a lot.

EDIT:

As for what PhulesAu said about the durability... I can't speak for that at all. I used the lights for 2.5 hrs on Friday... I'd love to find a 50w 4-6" light with an internal ballast that's affordable (so under $200 per light). As it is, I haven't come across any yet. And at this point, I doubt I'd even look into it as I'm very impressed with the EE lights.

If you're looking for something with a track record yet affordable and HID, have a look at HIDx. They're priced roughly the same and have been around for 4 years now (iirc). While their 7" lights are big (and have a horrible aiming bracket) but they'll get out to 500 yrds as well.

Last edited by riptide; 03-08-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Some pics of the lights & output. Go figure... now that I figured out how to take some pics... it starts snowing... Anyway here's some pics... I'll try to grab some more tomorrow night if its nice out. Keeping in mind that these don't even come close to doing it justice... Well the last two are fairly accurate...

Oh and keep in mind that these lights are still not aimed correctly... they're all aimed to the left too much...

Pic 1: Low Beams + Fogs

Pic 2: Highs

Pic 3: HIDs - the trees in at the fringe are 350+ yrds away. In reality I could easily make out the trees... but couldn't see any of the amber light from the low beams... I didn't notice it till looking at the pics... looks like the camera pulled it out...

Pic 4: HIDs - it's hard to tell in this picture (I shrunk it) but there's 4 telephone poles there.

Pic 5: 1 EE + 2 4" HIDs (I didn't have anything to cover the RRs with, or I would have covered those as well.

Pic 6: Front Driver Side from 50 yrds

Pic 7: Front Passenger Side from 50 yrds

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.