6.5" component setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 6.5" component setup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

6.5" component setup

How can I install 6.5" component speakers in my TJ? I would like something that has precut holes and mounts to the roll bar in place of the current ones.

I purchased JBL MS-62C speakers to replace my current C2-650 (coaxial) which I just bolted into the factory 5.25" enclosures. The sound was not too great, and when one of the C2 speakers crapped out I decided to go for JBL because the JBL speakers in my Mom's Prius sound great.

Since I am upgrading I would like to get an enclosure that will resonate with the 6.5" speakers for best sound. What options are available? I would like to keep it under $100... If that is possible.

Thank you.

kjmccar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

they will mount in you stock sound bar/sound pods without cutting. also fill the pods/bar with poly fill but not packed in.

what do you have for dash speakers? do you have an amp?

normaly running a component set in the sound bar is not a good idea. most stick with a coax. were do you plan on mounting the tweeter? you will also need a place to mount the crossover.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm currently running 6.5" coax in the factory setup, but I want to upgrade. I was hoping to purchase a soundbar/enclosure that had a tweeter option - and mount the crossover in the enclosure.

I'm running JL C2-525x in the dash as of now, but if I am as happy with JBL I might get another set of the MS-62C and try to get them in there. I have an amp now, but I just purchased the JBL GTO-804EZ amp so I have the option to run my 80watt speakers at full power.
kjmccar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I see you have 2 threads now for this subject. If you are going with 6.5" comps for midbass you'd be better off to try to incorporate a sub somewhere. Also look into adding an amp behind the speakers which will allow you to keep the volume lower and give better SQ.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.