5-Channel amp really necessary?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 5-Channel amp really necessary??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
TrevorNelson
2005 LJ Wrangler 

5-Channel amp really necessary??

I am have a 05' LJ rubi, with the stock 7 speakers set up. I am replacing everything with a aftermarket system.

My question is should I spend the cash and get a 5-Channel amp so I can run power to all four speakers and the sub? Or do you think I can just go with a single channel and just power the sub? Is it worth the extra cash??

TrevorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

there will be arguments for both.

I personally choose a mono amp for my sub (Rockford). I used speakers (polk) that have a 92db sensitivity rating, so a HU that has a whatever x4 amp rating will make them sound awesome. They sound great to me and most people that ride with me agree with my findings

I think the the "better" speakers and separately amplifying them is overkill. JMO though
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can just run the speakers off of the head unit. That's how mine are wired. Get one with a decent RMS watt rating (mine's a Pioneer) and it will run them just fine. Unless you're going with a component system, you probably don't need an amp, sure it would make it a tad better, but maybe not enough to notice. Just get a mono amp for the sub.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a 5ch powering my (4) polk db521s and Kicker cvt652, amp is mounted up under the dash. Speakers running off a stereo at 50x4 didnt cut it with the top off and doors off. I have a daily highway commute and wanted to at least here the music.
05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on your budget if you're getting a new head unit you can always go alpine with the power pack and add a mono for the sub. 5 channel amps usually have a big footprint by the time they give decent power, it's usually easier to find places for 2 smaller amps.
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25
Depending on your budget if you're getting a new head unit you can always go alpine with the power pack and add a mono for the sub. 5 channel amps usually have a big footprint by the time they give decent power, it's usually easier to find places for 2 smaller amps.
Unless you get something like mine:

Dimensions (L x W x H): 10.23 x 7.09 x 2.05 in.
Mounts to the skinny pedal mount

@TrevorNelson - I sent you a pm about some audio equipment
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What amp has that footprint?

Micro amps don't usually have the power needed to run a system in a top down wrangler. I'm running a sound stream stealth only sub and it's barely enough, it would be substantially less with 4 channels pushing mids.
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What amp has that footprint?

Micro amps don't usually have the power needed to run a system in a top down wrangler. I'm running a sound stream stealth only sub and it's barely enough, it would be substantially less with 4 channels pushing mids.
JL XD700/5
Also check out Alpine pdx-v9 (bit more $$)
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

In my opinion, a good headunit will negate the need for a 5ch unless you really want to go big, bad and top of the line. You never want to use a multi-channel amp as a subwoofer power supply(too many nightmares, less lifespan, etc). Yes it is rated to handle it, but, if you had a car that would blow up at 110mph, would you constantly drive it at 105mph? Same kind of principle. Get independent ALWAYS for a sub. Only exception I can think of is if it's just a super small 200w max kind of sub. Every single professional audio equipment tech should be telling you that upfront =\ That's all I've ever heard from all the pros around all the shops I've ever been to.

If you truly need that extra ~15-20% clarity and power bump, then go ahead and get a decent quality, preferably name brand, 4 ch with the independent for the sub.

What all are you planning on running? like what kinds of wattages on the 4ch system? There's a lot of smaller form factor amps that can easily handle 40-60rms per channel, 100 max that would fit with a little bit of creativity.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Im only powering my kicker 6.5 and my 4 Polks so Im good with that 5channel.

But the Rockford PBR amps are nice and small for powering either 4ch or mono with a speaker/sub similar setup as mine.

If I was powering a 10" or 12" it would be different and id have a seperate class d mono amp.
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is no comparison to speakers run off of a head unit and a high powered amp... I have a "high power" pioneer deck, and before I got a separate amp for the highs, the sound was barely heard on the highway with the top off, polk/infinity speakers too.

JL hd 900/5 is the best choice if you can afford it... or else an alpine PDX, kicker zx700.5 too.
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What amp has that footprint? Micro amps don't usually have the power needed to run a system in a top down wrangler. I'm running a sound stream stealth only sub and it's barely enough, it would be substantially less with 4 channels pushing mids.
There are plenty of small footprint amps on the market with plenty of power. I have the Sony XM-4S, which is something like 60 watts RMS x 4 @ 2 ohms, and is plenty loud with top/doors off. It's small enough to mount under the dash.

Rockford, Alpine, and a number of others make small but powerful amps.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm using an alpine HU with the alpine power pack doing the 4 Polk 5.25", RF PDX mono amp powering a kicker 6.5" all in factory locations and it has no problem with no top highway noise. The power pack is behind the HU and RF is under the steering wheel column.
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93
There are plenty of small footprint amps on the market with plenty of power. I have the Sony XM-4S, which is something like 60 watts RMS x 4 @ 2 ohms, and is plenty loud with top/doors off. It's small enough to mount under the dash. Rockford, Alpine, and a number of others make small but powerful amps.
I was referring specifically to micro 5 channels. I'm running a micro amp for my sub and a separate for the dash. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Sony line of amps. They aren't very clean same goes for mids at 2 ohms. Also Sony amps have a tendency to overheat as the fan gets weak over time. *2 cents*
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not going to say Sony makes the best amps out there, but for the cost and operating environment I would highly recommend the amp. It's been a very solid amp the last 3 years and I would choose it again in a heartbeat.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.