5.25 Dash Components Using JK Tweeter Pods in 05 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 5.25 Dash Components Using JK Tweeter Pods in 05 TJ

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
CsKWarEd
2005 TJ Wrangler 

5.25 Dash Components Using JK Tweeter Pods in 05 TJ

Here's my write up for installing component 5.25 speakers in the dash on my TJ, using JK tweeter pods. The speakers I used were the JBL P560Cs.

Taking the old speakers out is pretty straight forward, and there is a good bit of information online about doing that. It's really just a matter of taking out the two screws on the side of the dash, and popping off the grills.

Once you get the factory 4x6 speaker out (4 screws, 2 top and 2 bottom), I would suggest running a wire for the tweeters down the back side of the dash. It's much easier to do it now while there isn't anything obstructing the view. Go ahead and strip back the leads on there so that they can be plugged in to the cross over.

Next cut a piece of speaker wire, a 12-18 inches long, this will be for your woofer. Strip back both ends, and insert one set of ends in to the cross over in the woofer slot. Also install the tweeter ends you stripped back in the previous step.

Now cut the factory speaker wire adaptor off and strip back both ends. For my 05 TJ, the white wire with the black stripe was the positive, and the all white was the negative. I connected another 12 inch section of speaker wire to the corresponding ends.

Now that I've got all 6 connections made on my crossover, I zip tied the cross over to the back of the A/C duct work. There really wasn't much for me to latch on to, so this seemed to be the best option. I also stuffed some poly in the dash for a little added support.

Next I installed the woofers in to the adaptors, this made for an easier install. I used the Nalin 4x6 to 5.25 adaptor plates, which worked great (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T#ht_511wt_939).

I took the woofer lead wire that I already installed in to the cross over, and mated that with the woofer. This is a great time to turn on the radio and make sure that you've got working speakers minus the tweeters. I used the same 4 screws that I took held the factory speakers in the same spot. Note, I did not use the small bolts and thread lock nuts that came with the adaptor.

Now that I've got the woofer installed, with the cross over tied up, I turned my attention to mounting the tweeter. I purchased JK replacement tweeter pods via eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2395wt_1056). I went with the silver ones because they match the silver center dash that came on my RME.

The front pods have L shape pieces that hold the pod down, and the rear are downward arrow shape prongs to hold down the back. The back also has a hole for a screw, so wanting to cut less holes in my dash as possible I decided I didn't need the downward arrow prongs on the rear. I used my dremel to cut the prongs off and smooth out the edge.

I also notched out a small piece on the back of the pod for the wires to come out. (Note, I realized afterward that the wires do in fact show, so you can easily pop another hole in the dash for the speaker wire for a little cleaner install. This way the wires would go through the dash and be covered by the actual pods themselves.)

The grills for the pods had a shroud of some sort that needed to be removed, as it kept my tweeters from sitting close to the grill once inside the pod.

There are still downward arrow prongs to hold the grill to the pod, so I left those and smoothed out where the shrouds were with my dremel.

Now the fun part, cutting holes in the dash... First, I put down a piece of masking tape to that I could sketch where my holes should be. Next, find a good angle for the pod by setting it on the masking tape. To find the right angle, I set in the passenger seat and aimed it right towards me. Also keeping in mind that a screw needed to go in to the back of the pod to hold it down, so I needed enough dashboard meat to go in to for a good hold.

With my bit in my dremel, I cut the slots for the front L prongs of the pods.

I like the approach of cut as little as possible, test fit, and make small adjustments. So that worked for me here. Once I got my pod to sit flat on the dash with the L prongs in the dash, I stuck a nail through the eyelet on the back of the pod, and made a dimple in the dash. This way I knew where my hole needed to be in the back. I also used a left over speaker screw bracket (not sure of the correct terminology) for added reinforcement.

Now that I've got my holes done, I put my tweeter in the pod, and placed the pod on the dash with the lead wires off to the side. Now I can connect my lead wires with the wires I have connected to the cross over.

After taping up the connections with electrical tape, I turned on the radio to make sure I had information coming out of both the woofer and the tweeter. If everything is good repeat the same process on the driver's side and you've got JK tweeter pods installed in your TJ!

Enjoy!

Unread 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
MondooP
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow looks great! Looks the same as my JK 10/10!
MondooP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i like how you mounted the tweeters....very clean!

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
CsKWarEd
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I am truly surprised at the night and day difference swapping out the speakers and moving the tweeters to the dash made. I can actually hear everything clearly, and I ride without doors 90% of the time. This was a great mod, I would highly recommend it.
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you know how to fiberglass, i would use those plates as a base and make an enclosure on the back of them. You will notice a BIG gain in the midrange and it will also increase the power handling slightly.
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow I considering using those but didn't want to cut my dash...yours came out great though.
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
CsKWarEd
2005 TJ Wrangler 

@ Alex- I'm no good with fiberglass, although I could see how making an enclosure would help out a good bit.
@ Gily- The reward outweighed the risk for sure, it really wasn't that hard. Just sketch the bottom of the pods on to the masking tape to know exactly where to cut, real easy.

Thanks for the compliments!
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the writeup. I think I am going to swap the 4" in the plate for a cheap Pioneer 4" and add seperate tweeters later.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
CsKWarEd
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No problem, you'll be glad you've replaced the factory ones for sure!
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates?

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Reviving a dead thread. Just ordered a pair of JK tweeter pods. See if I can fit them in too. Ill report back
thedaringmove is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaringmove View Post
Reviving a dead thread. Just ordered a pair of JK tweeter pods. See if I can fit them in too. Ill report back

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
wildkardboyz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you get the pods from I want some.
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
wildkardboyz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a set of 5.25 speakers as well the 1 7/8 th pods the mounting brackets sat on the dash nicley. Like said before they sound great with the tweeter on the dash. Highly recommended mod
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
BeerChameleon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsKWarEd View Post
Here's my write up for installing component 5.25 speakers in the dash on my TJ, using JK tweeter pods. The speakers I used were the JBL P560Cs.
I like it, I tried doing this but found out that my tweeters are too wide. So now I have unused pods that I can't use.

However I took Nalins kick panel tweeter bracket and mounted them on the dash putting them near the windshield and they look really nice and clean and only needed 2 small screw holes. They almost look like thos expensive tweeter adapters with the tweeter on quadratec accept the are angled better. Yes I know people say they sound better down that low but I am 6'3 and I can't hear them when they are way down there. I think they sound good up top. So I would Like to thank you and nalin for the writeup and brackets. I will post pics when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post
i like how you mounted the tweeters....very clean!
BeerChameleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.