4 Ohm vs 2 Ohm Subwoofer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 4 Ohm vs 2 Ohm Subwoofer

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

4 Ohm vs 2 Ohm Subwoofer

Just a quik question, I had ordered some 4ohm kicker 6.5" subwoofers and now they are out of stock but they have some 2ohm ones still in stock. Wich would be better for a small box under each front seat. The box's air space is
.37 so it is more than enough air space for those woofers. The minimum is .20. So I was just wandering if there would be a difference in sound between the two?

Unread 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
SirGCal

it all depends what you're amping them with. The different impedance (ohms) of speakers are simply to allow different wiring configurations. They, themselves, do nothing for sound (other than add noise) or volume.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

I am going to use a old Fosgate punch 250, to power them. Should I just have them send out the 2ohm ones? Or should I wate till they get more of the 4ohm ones?
Unread 08-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
SirGCal

I'd need model numbers to know if they match or not.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

What part #'s do you want?
Unread 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
SirGCal

what ever equipment we're talking about...

Quote:
Unread 08-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I would just wire the two 2 Ohm subwoofers in series with each other so they present a 4 Ohm load to the amplifier.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
If it were me, I would just wire the two 2 Ohm subwoofers in series with each other so they present a 4 Ohm load to the amplifier.
It all depends on the equipment. If the amp is weak for them already, that could be a gross underpower... If he had planned it matched for 2-ohm single output configuration, then that could possibly be the case... Would still run, just not as loud and distort earlier.

Quote:
Unread 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the amp he wants is 250watts bridged at 4ohm, or 125Wx2 at 2ohm, so if he wants to run these subs he should run one channel to each of the 2 ohm subs, correct SirGCal? The Subs he wants are Kicker CVT65, rated at 150 watts RMS/300 Peak. 2ohm single coil. I would think this combo would be about the perfect set-up for what he wants.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"

Last edited by RogueSpear2023; 08-11-2009 at 09:59 PM..
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

You guys have it exactly right. Im still a little schepticle about them. I have never herd 6.5" subwoofers in person so I dont know what to expect. The boxs mount under the front seats firing down. And I have about 13/8" gap between the sub and the floor. What would you compare two of these speakers to, 1 8", 1 10" or what?

The box measures 5" tall by 13" wide and 12" long. I made it out of 1/4" MDF and then FG the inside for strength so the walls are around 3/8" thick. I shouldnt get any flex in the box with the fiberglass.
Unread 08-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

1/2" mdf would be better thn 1/4" with fiberglass. glass is weak on large flat areas. it flexes easily. put a curve in it and its strong as crap but for the flat expanses mdf is a better bet. plus 1/2" would be cheaper then 1/4 and glass.

but i think that the 6.5" would be a nice addition to your system. sure it wouldnt be loud thundering bass like you would get from a big 12" sub but it will round out the low end nicely i would imagine.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
JeepDoo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I got 2 10s in the trunk behind the back eat in a dual box bolted to the tailgate. That thumps pretty well but u wont have a trunk anymore.

Just my suggestion, but if i were you i would wire both the subs in series, and bridge them to the amp. That should be plenty of power for any 6.5" sub.

Or you could also build a custom fiberglass box for the center console like i did too, and stick an 8" in it.

Or you could do all of it and have 5 subs

EDIT: i just realized something, DO NOT GET the 4Ohm SUBS. If you do you will only be running around 100 Watts to each of them if connected to separate channels. You cannot wire them in parallel for a 2 ohm load either because ur amp cannot be bridged at 2 ohms, so both subs would be running on 1 chanel at 125 watts.

Get the 2 ohm subs cause there's more wiring options available. In my experience its better to over power subs than underpower. Yuo can always just turn the gain down on the amp if they are overpowered, but underpowered there is no fix.
We've got too many gangsters doin dirty deeds. Too much corruption and crime in the street. It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground. Send them all to their maker and he'll settle them down. - Toby Keith & Willie Nelson

[URL="http://www.norcaljeepers.net/forum/"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]NOR CAL JEEPERS FORUM[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/sound-system-upgrades-speakers-amps-what-you-need-know-964324/"]Want to hear the music in your TJ, look no further...[/URL]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][B]Longboard Drunk, Jeep Naked, Ski Powder[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"][SIZE="1"]and finish calculus homework[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Last edited by JeepDoo; 08-12-2009 at 05:46 PM..
JeepDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the post guys. As far as the box being done out of 1/4" and FG. The reason I did that is I couldnt find any HD MDF around town. And I did think of the stregth problem and trust me I can stand dead center of the top and bottom peices and they dont flex at all. If the little 6.5" woofer puts out more pressure than my 185 pounds does standing on it, then I will be amased!

As far as putting the woofers in the back or in the console. I thought about those ideas and it just didnt fit what I wanted. Here is what I wanted when I started thinking about adding in some base.

I wanted a full functional console....
I wanted my full system to stay in the jeep no matter what I was doing....No doors....No back seat with the dogs......

Theft deturent.....

Just enough base so I dont sound like a rice rocket going down the road with my highs blaring.....

Didnt want to loose any storage........
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

6.5" are really a mid bass sub, they will be really tight, but you will lose a lot of the deep base.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
6.5" are really a mid bass sub, they will be really tight, but you will lose a lot of the deep base.
That's just not true being said like that. It depends entirely on the specific speaker involved. JL for example has some excelent 6" subs that go very low and hit very hard. Now with the 6W3's, they can really bump it. Now something like the kicker 6.5" mid base, then ya, it's not a real sub. But not all 6" sub-like speakers are midbass drivers. Some really perform. it's not fair to group them all like that. My 6" setup hits quite loud, and goes well down below the normally audible range.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.