2ways or 3ways - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2ways or 3ways

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-15-2001, 06:52 PM   #1
TJSahara

2ways or 3ways

what is better sounding the soundbar a 2-way or 3-way speaker. It is an 01 TJ w/ 5-1/4's. I was thinking of running a component set, but if I don't have to then I won't waste the time. Thanks for the help

Unread 10-15-2001, 09:51 PM   #2
evilpsych

from what i've read.. 3ways would be the way to go.. 3 diff speakers handling diff freq range.. probably better sounding than 2 ways.. depends on the frequency response of the speakers themselves.. plus i might be a little worried about distortion in the mid to hi range from the lowrange woofer in that 3way setup

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
Jefff

I put a set of Sony 5 & 1/4 3 way speakers in the soundbar of my TJ, and took them out 5 minutes later. The stock speakers sounded better!

I'm looking to put in a set of 2 way 6 & 1/2 speakers instead. All you need to do is put a spacer of sorts in & they'll fit.
Jefff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2001, 10:07 PM   #4
Willis91YJ

Hey bud,
It depends on what speakers specifically you are talking about. Alpine makes a three way for about 85 bucks and they make a "two way" for 250. The difference is not in the "ways" per say but in the two way as in all good woofer tweeter setups is that the speaker that is mounted inside of the 5'1/4 is a silk dome tweeter with much better frequency response than any "three way" on the market. If you e-mail me with the speakers you are trying to decide between I may be of more help!
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • Cobra 2ways - Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio (2 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.