2M radio mounting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2M radio mounting?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2M radio mounting?

I picked up a nice Yaesu 2m radio for cheap. I also scored the Ham radio study guide. I want to go ahead and mount the radio in my Jeep. But where? I've already got a cb above my rear view mirror.

This 2m radio looks "busy" with knobs and buttons on both the radio and mic so I need it to be easily acessable.

Of course I know that I can't talk on it unless it's a life or death type of emergency.

chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

It looks busy until you learn what they all do, then you realize most of it isn't used. Even with a life or death emergency, if you can't pass the tech exam, you likely won't even know where to look to find help. There is a huge chunk of radio band that those radios can work on, but only a certain section is going to be monitored. So worry with passing the test before you worry with mounting. Horse before the carriage type of thing.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree. Worry about the test first.

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
I agree. Worry about the test first.
I don't know that thinking about where to put his radio is going to divert too much of his brain power from studying for the test.

If I needed ideas of where to mount my radio, I would browse google images.
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Glasssplinter
1994 ZJ 

Don't feel bad, I've had my ZJ for 6 years and still haven't mounted my radio. Can't find a decent spot that is partially visible without looking around too much. Wanted it on the dash but it's the V-8000 and weighs over 2 lbs, so don't think the dash is strong enough for it, plus have a dashmat in the way. Think I'm just going to bite the bullet though and mount it on the passenger side of the console by the shifter. Have to get access to a welder first and fab up a bracket to attach to the shift area. Nice chunk of metal where the shifter pops through and can have something bolted to the side. Right now though I've just got it wedged between my seat and the console.

They are busy radios but once you program one it becomes as easy as a CB. Just cycle through the memories and find the right freq and you're done. The programming on some though can be a pain. Bad thing is I like scanning most of the time so I have to look at it more which is why I wanted it somewhere visible. Finding out though sometimes you have to give more than you can take. Had a few other vehicles and never had a problem mounting it until now.

Good luck with the test!
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbug View Post
I don't know that thinking about where to put his radio is going to divert too much of his brain power from studying for the test.

If I needed ideas of where to mount my radio, I would browse google images.
If you can't legally transmit on the radio, and aren't familiar enough to pass the test, then having it in your vehicle is of little use. The excuse of "I can use it in an emergency" doesn't hold water in this situation, because if you can't pass the test, you likely won't know how to hit a repeater to reach help, or where to look on simplex.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Mainsail
2005 WK 

I’m a long-time Tech with absolutely no need or desire to advance beyond that license, but even though I only studied for Tech, I came a question or two from getting General (they offered it to me since I was there which I believe is common practice).

The Air Force used Master Question Banks in some of our tests, much like the ham exam. Here is the advice I give my friends who want to pass the exam:

-Read through the book once (optional, but see below for my caveat to that)

-Go to the back of the book. All the questions that could be asked are there, and after that are all the answers to those questions. Now, highlight the correct answers to every question.
Study the questions and the correct answers only.

-Never, and I mean never read the incorrect answers. Not even once.

-After a few rounds of that, start taking the on-line tests. Try to take the tests as often as possible until you’re scoring consistently in the mid to high 90s.

-Then schedule your exam before you forget everything.

By only studying the correct answers you will find that during the test the wrong answers will seem weird. This will help you on questions you might not have seen during your on-line practice exams.

Caveat: This method will get you your license, but it will not teach you the practical things you might later need, like electrical theory or antenna building. If that matters to you then get your license and keep studying the book afterward.
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Kovelan
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a laptop mount in the jeep that I use to run APRS (Xastir and local maps). It has a tray that snaps in/out. Have always thought it would make a great radio mount as well.
Lots of room for the mic, etc... And has the ability to change the view angle.

Have back seat out, and mount the radios to the floor. The Yaesu FT-8900 has a remote head mount kit. APRS radio is remote mounted there and cabled to laptop (2m only radio).
Believe all the FT-X800 series radios have remote head capable. If you have the back seat in, think about a radio with a remote head and mount under that.
Kovelan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.