2m/440 recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2m/440 recommendations

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Geeps

2m/440 recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for radios for my Jeep. What's everyone using?

I don't have my license yet, hoping to pass the test early next month. Just doing a little research right now.

thanks..

Geeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
redgrandcheroke

I prefer kenwood or Icom for my gear, hopefully will have a Icom 706 IIG in the jeep soon, have an old kenwood 2m in there now, with a 5/8ths wave on the roof rack. Mike N9XLZ
Full time 4x4 with CDL
redgrandcheroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
bamacj

I use a kenwood 261a in the truck, not much 440 here. I use a ic706m11g in da house and an kenwood 850 for hf.

kg4jcy
bamacj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
tctrjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I really like Kenwood for dual-band mobile radios. They are reliable and their controls are easy to memorize. The G707A is a good radio to start with.

If you think you might get into APRS, consider the TM-D700A. It costs a bit more, but has a built-in TNC and connection for a GPS. We installed one in our Project Jeep and it has been great.

We have more info on-line at...

http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep
tctrjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
Psyker

I picked up a used FT-8100R for $150, and so far it has everything I could possibly need. Hit up the local hamfest and see what is available.

'96 Green XJ SE - I6, AX15, NP231, 2.5" Lift

'90 White YJ - 4 squirrels spinning a toothpick (i4 w/ax5) - WIP
Psyker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
PhulesAu
1985 VJ 

Kenwood, it seems that the audio is a bit better to me. otherwise I'd say Icom.
PhulesAu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I'm with the Kenwood or ICOM.

My HF Base is all ICOM and has worked great for a while now.

My Mobile Radio is a Tri-band Kenwood TM-741 an older model but it has worked great also. It came with 2/440 and I added 220 but since have added a module to increase the band capacity to six bands, worked out well.

The question that pops up is what repaeater do youhave close to you and what repeaters due you plan on working. A Dual or Tri Band Rig is great but if you aren't going to use the extra bands why pay for it.

Not to put down any of the other brands of Ametuer Radio Equipment, they are all good and the quality is about the same, so look for something that you find as a great option and buy it.

Later, Good Luck on the test, 73, W1IO/N1MAU

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #8
z71offroader

i have an alpine in mine and ive been very pleased with it.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
KA5IVR

Since you are looking for a 2m/440 radio, I would suggest the Kenwood TM-D700A. Dual band and it has the APRS built in, so you can connect a GPS to it.

The Icom 706 or 7000 would be the second choice, if you want HF/VHF/UHF. They are 2 to 3 times as much over the D700. You will have to mount more antennas and on a Jeep and that may be a challenge. Unless you are in the Desert, most HF antennas will get the hell beat out of them on the trail.

I run HF in my Tow Rig, but only 2m/440 (D700) in the Jeep with the APRS. I mounted a Comet SBB-5 dual band antenna mounted on a Teraflex (behind the left tail light) bracket. Looks and works good, plus it clears the garage door.

Check out Stu Olson's website on Ham Radio and Jeeps at http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.asp

Transmitting on VHF/UHF will only require the Tech License, but if you want to transmit on HF, you will have to pass, at least, the General test as well. A 2m/440 radio is great to start with when you are first licensed!
Unread 09-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
tctrjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA5IVR
Unless you are in the Desert, most HF antennas will get the hell beat out of them on the trail.
We run an Icom AH-2b behind an AH-4 tuner and 706MKII-G that works well just about anywhere. The mount is very tough, and the flexible whip can handle quite a bit. We recently relocated it after changing rear bumpers, and so far this has worked out well. It is above the drivers-side tail light.

It also includes a piece that can be used to fold the antenna over for low-clearance areas.

Last edited by tctrjeep; 09-16-2006 at 12:41 PM..
Unread 09-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Geeps

Does anyone have pictures of their antenna setups??

I'm planning on keeping my CB in and I'm curious how to setup multiple antennas.
Geeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 2m radio's antenna is just a mag-mount stuck on the driver's side rear wheelwell... inside the Jeep. It works well there and hits all the local repeaters just fine.

You may not get all the use out of a dual-band rig that you expect. I have had two dual-band transceivers and found that I just never used the 440 MHz band. So this last time, I went with an ICOM V8000 75 watt 2m only rig. Simpler than most to use, plus it has the WX (weather) band on it. I like it a lot... especially its front-firing speaker that has more audio output power than most others do.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
tjchad

I just picke dup an icom IC-208H a couple weeks ago. Modified a Turbo City Rock-it antenna mount to fit the antenna. I'll probably finish mounting it up this week.
tjchad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
tctrjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeps
Does anyone have pictures of their antenna setups??

I'm planning on keeping my CB in and I'm curious how to setup multiple antennas.
You have already seen the photo of the back of our Project Jeep. We have the CB antenna on the Grant 4x4 swing away tire carrier, and the HF antenna mounted on the drivers side above the tail light.

As for our 2m/70cm antennas, they are all up front. We did two Tram 1180 NMO-mount antennas on the fenders, and two smaller Tram antennas up by the front windshield - the latter being primarily for receive-only or guest HT hookup applications.

More details here...

http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep/jeepcomm.htm
Unread 09-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
redgrandcheroke

Both of my current antennas, 5/8 wave 2m and CB are mounted on my roof rack on my 98 ZJ. excellent reception and tunning once I set up proper grounding for each antenna. Once I get my new safari roof basket, I will set up a new antenna set up.
Full time 4x4 with CDL
redgrandcheroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.