2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Radio Upgrade Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Radio Upgrade Questions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
TheHammer610
2013 FSJ Cherokee 

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Radio Upgrade Questions

I am new to the world of Jeeps and recently purchased a JGC 2013 with the base radio without Uconnect. I would like to upgrade so that I can get a rear camera.

I figure I have two options: Purchase a used Jeep radio off of eBay (although I do not know what to look for or what is comparable) or go aftermarket.

Going aftermarket has the advantage in that I can get HDRadio.

How can I find out if I have the separate amplifier? Or are the speakers directly powered by the head unit?

Crutchfield recommends the following:
Pioneer AVH-P3400BH
Wiring interface PAC PR4-CH11
Antenna adapter 12040EUID
Double DIN Kit 120956513B
Rear camera Pioneer ND-BC6

My concerns are that the wiring interface and Crutchfield assume that I have the separate amp and that I will lose fader control. That is a big negative. If my base radio does not have separate amp, then I should keep the fader, but I am not sure that the wiring interface will work.

While I have installed aftermarket before, never one this complex nor have had to run a wire for a camera. Anyone have experience with running a camera to the head unit? How about installing Bluetooth mic for phone? Where is the mic installed in factory models?

TheHammer610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
TheHammer610
2013 FSJ Cherokee 

Just for documentation: I successfully replaced the stock 2013 radio with an aftermarket Pioneer double DIN. I also installed a rear view camera and a mic for a Bluetooth connected phone. There were a few glitches, but it is up and running perfectly now.

Crutchfield tech support was fabulous. I am pretty good with electronics, but there were a few surprises and they patiently walked me through them. Their prices are great when one takes into account the discounted harness plus the free dashboard and antenna adapter.

With the rear camera, I can now see the hitch when backing up to connect to my travel trailer. The camera is much clearer than those displayed in a mirror.

This Pioneer (it is the 3500 model) plays DVDs, so I can burn 4GB of MP3s on a disk and run random play. This unit has rear USB and audio plugs. I ran the included USB connector into the center consol, along with an audio mini plug connector. I can control a iPod or iPad on the radio via the USB while it is being charged. Bluetooth allows me to connect my phone for hands free operation or play music. The radio has HD.

The harness adapter allows me to retain steering wheel control of the radio. It also notifies the radio when I shift into reverse which automatically turns on the camera.
TheHammer610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.