2007 jeep grand cherokee limited starter issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2007 jeep grand cherokee limited starter issue

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
justlivin14

2007 jeep grand cherokee limited starter issue

I got this jeep just after Christmas. It runs great. A few weeks ago it would click when I try to start it. I ole oils try it a couple more times and it would start up. Last week it would only click. I ordered a starter and went to see about changing it and jacked it up, disconnected the battery and realized this is going to be a pain. I reconnected the battery and tried to start it and it started right up. I'm thing a loose connection but I can barely get to the starter much less check the connections. Any ideas?

justlivin14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
JeepCares

Does it still stat right up? Have you tried it again?
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
justlivin14

I tried this morning and got nothing but a click. Tonight I'm going to try and check the connections. Very difficult to get to.
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
JeepCares

From the Service Manual section on diagnosing "STARTER FAILS TO OPERATE"

1. Battery discharged or inoperative
1. Charge and test battery. Replace battery, if required.

2. Starter motor or solenoid inoperative
2. Test the starter motor and solenoid. Replace starter motor, if required.

3. Starter relay inoperative
3. Test and replace the starter relay, if required.

4. Clutch pedal position switch inoperative (if equipped with manual transmission)
4. See Clutch Pedal Position Switch. Test and adjust or replace switch, if required.

5. Park/Neutral position switch inoperative (if equipped with automatic transmission)
5. See Park/Neutral Position Switch. Test and adjust or replace switch, if required.

6. Ignition switch inoperative
6. Test the Ignition Switch and Key Lock Cylinder. Replace ignition switch if required.

7. Starting circuit wiring inoperative
7. Test and repair starter feed and/or control circuits, if required.
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
justlivin14

Thank you for the information. I looked at it last night and I moved the positive connection to the battery back and forth and it started right up. I am pretty sure it is a loose connection but I can't get to the starter to check the connections. I am going to attempt to check them tonight when I get off work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.