2005 Wrangler Radio Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2005 Wrangler Radio Removal

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
2005300C

2005 Wrangler Radio Removal

How do you remove the cover around the radio/heater controls? I want to remove and install a different radio. Thanks

2005300C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I'm not mistaken, it just "pops" off.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Wheels4186
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok first you want to pull the defroster plate off on the top of your dash (it just snaps upwards) once that is remove there is 2 screws that hold the console on.....remove those screws and then just pull it forward/downward and it will slip right off with a little force.....Once that is done, remove your glove compartment door and reach back behind the head unit to a bolt that connects the radio to the ground. then theres 4 bolts on the radio front and remove the antena. Sounds like alot of work but it should take you maybe 10 minutes....You will also have to remove a plug off the back of the head unit.

Dave

www.patriot-customs.com

04 Patriot Blue TJ- DAILY DRIVER/WEEKEND WARRIOR D-30/60 7.5" of lift, 38's, bumpers, cage, OBA, winch, armor, tube fenders, 2000W Stereo, etc.
Wheels4186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

take a flathead screw driver and pop the long narrow plastic piece off the dash just at the base of the windshield. that will expose two philips screws at the top of where the coin tray is. take those out. pull the cig. tray out and that will expose one more screw, take that out. i find it easiest to pull from the bottom from that point, pulling the entire plastic surround off the dash.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
SMACC
2005 TJ Wrangler 

on my '05, it's just as stated above however no ashtray. Only the two screws you'll find after lifting of the defroster strip.
4.0 Liter, 6-Speed, Dana 44, 3.73
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
TeraFlex Swaybar Quick Disconnects
Kilby Onboard Air Compressor
XM/AM/FM/CD
Hidden Hitch 2" Receiver
Olympic Light Bar
1978 M416 1/4 Ton Trailer
Patriot Blue Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
SMACC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
phildaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005300C
How do you remove the cover around the radio/heater controls? I want to remove and install a different radio. Thanks
The part you need to remove to get to the radio is called the Bezel.

To remove this pop off the defrost cover strip along the top of the dash, it just pops out with a flat blade tool. You will see the two philips head screws on the top. Remove them, not sure of your year, but if you have a ashtry take that out and remove the screw in the back there also. The bezel will just be held by panel clips then. Pull gently along the top and bottom and off it will come.

Your factory stereo should just have two screws in the face plate. You will also have what is called a anti-theft device attached to the back of the head unit. If your stereo is the older style (square corners) mopar radio it will be a steel strap that you can pull out. If it the head unit like mine with the rounded corners it will have nut you need to get off the back of the head unit.

to get to the nut take off you glove box door and reach up behind the radio, you will find it. It is a 10mm nut, that comes off real easy. depending on the size of you new head unit you maight need ot remove the factory security hanger also. It is held in place by two bolts along the top of the dash. Not a hard thing to get out through the glove box.

Just be careful fishing it out of the dash, it want to grab wires as it comes out

The funny thing about that security device is that is also acts as the gound for the head unit, so you might not see a ground wire on your harness.

Good luck.
2004 Wranger Unlimited. Airaid Intake, TRD Throttle Body, Borla-Cat back, 3" BDS-LIFT, sitting on 33-1250 Yokohama's & MT Classic w/ RED Lock rings Pioneer Head unit with a eclipse 4-channel pushing Memphis Car Audio speakers Kenwood Sub.

MY JEEP PHOTOS
phildaug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
Dr. Internet
2012 WK 

All of above is correct. If you put it all back together and get no radio, check behind the glove box. There is a connector splice for the radio antenna inside the foam covering that comes unplugged every time I take mine apart. It just plugs back together.

2012 Black Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
USN Club Hull # WK-13
TEXAS Jeep Club #29
Dr. Internet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
JordyX

A side note.... I recently Installed my new stereo and I removed the security bracket. The radio was not grounded properly as I was getting lot of electrical static and getting shocked a lot more then usual. So I fabricated a ground wire with a ring on the end that fit over bolt that is up by teh windshield that the bracket was on, I then just put the nut back on to hold the wire on, the other end of the wire was attached to the back of the new head unit, that solved all my problems.
Hope this helps if you have teh same grounding problem I did
-Jordy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.