2005 WK audio upgrade - have you done this?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2005 WK audio upgrade - have you done this??

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
azylinsk
2005 WK 

2005 WK audio upgrade - have you done this??

I am in the middle of upgrading my audio system (factory Boston Acoustics w/amp) and am looking for experiences from anyone who has upgraded to a system with component speakers and amps/subs.

I've got the rear speakers mounted. Since the harnesses have connectors where they route through the sheet metal, I drilled holes in the door-side connectors that attach to the b-pillar sheet metal to run the speaker wire along with the factory wires.

Just got to the front door wire routing though and need to figure out those connectors - inside the cabin has a round grommet that I've never seen before. Anybody run speaker wire to their WK front speakers? Any tips on getting into the boot between front doors and body?

Also struggling with where to mount the passenger side crossovers. The driver side ones I put on the topside of the knee bolster, under the steering column. Plenty of room and easy access! However on the passenger side, only opportunities I see available are behind the cowl trim, where some of the mounting screws might be forced to screw into body sealant. Big deal, I dunno? Other option is in the door on the backside of the trim panel. Not-so-easy access. I am not expecting to need to get to the crossovers all the time, but would like to have the access if possible. Anyone found any good spots?

The subs and amp mounting locations I haven't figured out either - I don't want to give up too much cargo space. I know I can't really have it both ways though. Anybody have any pictures of sub/amp installations that keep cargo space in mind? I am putting two 10" subs, plus two amps in.

Would appreciate any past experiences you have had!

azylinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
azylinsk
2005 WK 

So, pretty much a wheelin' only forum huh.

Well, system is done, minus one noise issue to troubleshoot that so far a new amp hasn't resolved.

If anyone reading this ever wants to do this, a tip: don't bother removing the round grommets/connector housings in the front lower cowls. You don't need to in order to run speaker wires to the frt doors, just cut a small slit in the boot to pass thru. You will however have to remove the connector housings on the outside of the door openings. Those ones you do not want any holes in for water intrusion.

Just posting an update in the hopes that it may help someone some day. I sure didn't find much in help out there for WK. Feel free to PM me, etc, for any help as well. Once I get the noise issue figured out and tidy up my installation, I'll try to get some final install pics up - in the event anyone cares about audio mods.
azylinsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.