2004 LJ Front speaker Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2004 LJ Front speaker Replacement

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Reply
Unread 10-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
wage
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Neptune Beach FL
Posts: 179
2004 LJ Front speaker Replacement

Hey Gang,

On my 2004 LJ, what is the proceedure for removing the front in dash speakers? Also has anyone added the "tweeters" that I find in some of the jeep mags? Any comments?

Thankj you in advance for your help.

wage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,882
Open your doors, you'll see a screw (two?) on the side of the speaker cover. Remove them and the speaker cover can be pulled off. Once inside, you can just unscrew the old speakers. Replace them only with speakers that have a least a 90 or 91 dB Sensitivity rating or your factory radio won't be able to play them loudly enough. Polk is one manufacturer of speakers that have Sensitivity ratings of 90 dB or higher. Pay no attention to the speaker packaging that screams in big lettering high watt ratings. High watt ratings don't mean how loudly they'll play, that only means how much power they can handle... and normally, the higher the speaker's wattage rating, the lower its Sensitivity rating will be and the worse it will sound with a stock radio or head unit without an aftermarket auxiliary high power amplifier.

Converting the factory 4x6 oval speaker to a 5.25" round coaxial speaker is a nice upgrade that will sound better. Round speakers sound better than oval speakers. Adapters for that are widely available, Crutchfield is one such source.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.


TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
wage
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Neptune Beach FL
Posts: 179
Thank you Jerry B.

Has anyone had any luck or good comments about the Kicker Factory Replacements for both the Front and Overhead soundbar speakers from "Quadratec" ??
wage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
TXST8tj
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 3,339
Kicker makes nice speakers. I run their KS525s in my TJ. Those particular speakers can be had on ebay for about $30/pair. The dash speaker adapters are $13 from mjmautoinnovations.com.
i'm not sure how much they are on qtec, but that'll give you something to compare.

As far as the actual speakers, they will be fine, but they are a bottom line replacement.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
limeking
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: O'Fallon MO, Missouri
Posts: 441
I used the speaker adapters for mjm as well, worked fine, I run Polk DB series 5.25s, very pleased.

TXST8tj Standup Philosopher I call it a bull sh*t artist! ; )
__________________
If there wasn't stuff that sucked, how would we know what was cool? Beavis and Butthead

Jeremy : )
2004 Lime Rubicon, NV3550, JKS arms, and trackbars, UCF tummy tuck, LoPro and engine skid, 3 in tera springs 33 KM2s
1994 Red Wrangler, 2.5 in lift, 31 in no names, 4.0 ax15 30/35
limeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Kevin925
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Open your doors, you'll see a screw (two?) on the side of the speaker cover. Remove them and the speaker cover can be pulled off. Once inside, you can just unscrew the old speakers. Replace them only with speakers that have a least a 90 or 91 dB Sensitivity rating or your factory radio won't be able to play them loudly enough. Polk is one manufacturer of speakers that have Sensitivity ratings of 90 dB or higher. Pay no attention to the speaker packaging that screams in big lettering high watt ratings. High watt ratings don't mean how loudly they'll play, that only means how much power they can handle... and normally, the higher the speaker's wattage rating, the lower its Sensitivity rating will be and the worse it will sound with a stock radio or head unit without an aftermarket auxiliary high power amplifier.

Converting the factory 4x6 oval speaker to a 5.25" round coaxial speaker is a nice upgrade that will sound better. Round speakers sound better than oval speakers. Adapters for that are widely available, Crutchfield is one such source.
I took those 2 screws out to look at my speakers but it still feels like there is something holding them in. Maybe a plastic clip or something? I'm tempted just to give them a good yank and hope for the best, but with my luck I'll snap something. Am I missing something? 2005 Wrangler TJ. Thanks.
Kevin925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
50FRONT
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin925 View Post
I took those 2 screws out to look at my speakers but it still feels like there is something holding them in. Maybe a plastic clip or something? I'm tempted just to give them a good yank and hope for the best, but with my luck I'll snap something. Am I missing something? 2005 Wrangler TJ. Thanks.
There are also two clips. Once the screws are out pull toward the back of the jeep.
__________________
1995 SE 4.0 auto - 4" pro comp lift 1" shakles 33x12.5 sye
2006 LJ - Auto - Stock
50FRONT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Kevin925
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50FRONT View Post
There are also two clips. Once the screws are out pull toward the back of the jeep.
Came right out with a little tug. Thanks.
Kevin925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Kevin925
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Posts: 66
Anyone know what part # that 4x6 to 5.25 adapter is so I can look for it on e-bay. I ordered some speakers from Crutchfield and the guy said they don't carry them.
Kevin925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Lastshot
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin925 View Post
Anyone know what part # that 4x6 to 5.25 adapter is so I can look for it on e-bay. I ordered some speakers from Crutchfield and the guy said they don't carry them.
There are a few different kinds on ebay, heres the one I purchased

5" Front Speaker Adapters for 1997+ Jeep Wrangler TJ - eBay (item 310218809205 end time Dec-04-10 04:33:51 PST)

It's made of 1/4 pvc, was easy to modify slightly to fit. I also had to bend a little metal on my 98, but It wasn't difficult.

On ebay I searched Jeep Speaker adapters.

Good luck
__________________
{Project "New Start" -'05 LJ build }~{SOLD '98 TJ -"Blue Steel"}
{You know you drive a TJ when....}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Kevin925
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastshot View Post
There are a few different kinds on ebay, heres the one I purchased

5" Front Speaker Adapters for 1997+ Jeep Wrangler TJ - eBay (item 310218809205 end time Dec-04-10 04:33:51 PST)

It's made of 1/4 pvc, was easy to modify slightly to fit. I also had to bend a little metal on my 98, but It wasn't difficult.

On ebay I searched Jeep Speaker adapters.

Good luck
Thanks. I should have put Jeep speaker adapters instead of 4x6 adapters.
Kevin925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
Kevin925
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Posts: 66
I also noticed they make them in steel for a few bucks more. Any advantages? besides they won't crack as easy I guess.
Kevin925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
Kevin925
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Posts: 66
Oh I noticed the steel don't have the holes drilled to allow for different speaker screw hole locations.
Kevin925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
Lastshot
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 885
I don't own many tools, so a file and a hacksaw made quick work of adjusting the PVC brackets in order to make them fit, they also have multiple holes for speakers that might slightly different brackets.

Bottom line They don't rattle, they were cheap and felt sturdy enough to hold my 5 1/4 speakers and then some.
__________________
{Project "New Start" -'05 LJ build }~{SOLD '98 TJ -"Blue Steel"}
{You know you drive a TJ when....}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.