2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalling/No Start Issues FIXED - NOT cam sensor OR crank sha - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalling/No Start Issues FIXED - NOT cam sensor OR crank sha

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
daubler1975
2002 XJ Cherokee 

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalling/No Start Issues FIXED - NOT cam sensor OR crank sha

I purchased a used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 with 130,000 miles and almost immediately started noticing strange things happening. When I turned the dome light on, the radio would turn off and not come back on until it felt like it, and the cruise control didn't work. I figured I had some bugs to work on, then it started to stall, and I realized I had other problems. It started stalling at highway speeds and just idling in my driveway, and would not start after it stalled for quite some time, almost like it had no gas. I took the advice on the forums and changed both the cam and the crank sensor. Neither of those things turned out to be the problem. Then I read a post about the computer screws being too long, which is what led me to the root of my problem.
Upon taking the computer out of the motor compartment firewall of my jeep, I used a torque screwdriver to loosen the four screws that hold the cover on the computer. I noticed a white powdery corrosion all over the aluminum computer housing, which had apparently spread to the inside of the computer housing. The computer is a thin membraned printed circuit board which is actually part of one half of the housing, so when the corrosion spread into the computer, it spread under the board, curling it, and popping off resistors that are essential to the vehicles functions.
Check your computer for white powder along seams or edges and if you find any, purchase a new computer for your vehicle. This should help with your stalling problems. I found an exact match for mine online for about 200, the dealer wants around 600.

I've uploaded pics of the corrosion so you know what to look for.

computer-board-001.jpg   computer-board-002.jpg   computer-board-003.jpg  

Last edited by daubler1975; 01-06-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: added pics
daubler1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.