2000 tj radio replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2000 tj radio replacement

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
OSU2448
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 tj radio replacement

I am looking to swap out my 2000 factory cd player on my jeep wrangler to a newer factory radio that has the "RDS" technology and play burnt cds?

I have had the radio out before, so that isnt a problem.

Will a newer radio/cd player connections fit my 2000?

If not do they make an adapter kit?

Also, what about the 4 screw that hold it in place? Will they line up?

OSU2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF! This isn't tech but here's all you need to know about stereos! Crutchfield. Car Audio: Subwoofers, Car Stereos, Amps, Receivers, CD Players
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
OSU2448
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 tj radio upgrade

I am looking to swap out my 2000 factory cd player on my jeep wrangler to a newer factory radio that has the "RDS" technology and play burnt cds?

i think 2002 and up has this.

I have had the radio out before, so that isnt a problem.

Will a newer radio/cd player connections fit my 2000?

If not do they make an adapter kit?

Also, what about the 4 screws that hold it in place? Will they line up?
OSU2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Chrysler didn't adopt RDS in their OEM radios until they went to the oval faces. The 2000 still takes the rectangular face. I do not know if you can adapt a 03 or newer bezel to on 02 or older TJ, but all the Chrysler plugs are the same. I swapped my basic cassette deck out of my 2000 TJ for a cassette deck with the CD changer controls becasue I wanted the EQ. I run music with a cassette adapter from my blackberry and i swapped the RBK CD player out my current 05 TJ for a RAZ CD Tape combo and it works fine. Hope this helps.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Mooseknuckles
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would just buy an aftermarket head unit, it's gonna give you better overall performance, plus who wants to carry a book of CDs around anymore? Buy an iPod and get a head unit with a microjack.
Mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
john12v
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You will need a Metra 99-6500 install kit ( will need to break off the unecessary tabs, as it is a universal kit for MOPARS)

You will also need a Metra 70-1817 wiring harness that plugs directly into the JEEP wiring in the dash.

john12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
SirGCal

They do make an adapter. It won't fit without one. You'll also need a new bezel or modify your old one (fiberglass) for the rounded corner radio for the seamless fit. Not sure on the screws specifically but I know people have done the swap so either some will fit or there's a way to adapt it.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
OutermostJeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Get an aftermarket cheapie from Crutchfield - they have decent headunits for around $100 bucks. They include the wiring adapter and the metra install kit for free. Can't beat that! Sound will be much improved and even the cheap ones now include support for WMA and usually even have an ipod jack.
OutermostJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.