2000 Jeep Cherokee wiring Qs.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2000 Jeep Cherokee wiring Qs....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2000 Jeep Cherokee wiring Qs....

So I just brought home a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and I think I have a couple of electrical issues.

1) The panel lights seem dim, even with the rheostat maxxed out. Dare I ask how involved (if even DIY-possible) it'd be to replace those?

2) The stereo (some no-name aftermarket head unit) has got to go. That in itself is no biggy, but I also believe I have a broken wire to the driver's door speaker. How big a deal is that to fix? I've been spoiled by my 2010 Focus' factory stereo, and I'd like to have that sound back. LOL Hmmmm....actually, it's the left-side speakers, front and rear that are dead. Could be the stereo. Must experiment.

3) Cruise control doesn't work. I'm assuming that's a wiring issue?

I appreciate the help. Hate being a noob. LOL

Last edited by AllenTC2; 06-07-2013 at 06:50 AM..
AllenTC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
4x4fun
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The best way to find out what is wrong to to pull apart the dash this makes it easier to see and get to everything having a multimeter and a test light will help to my guess is the person that put the radio in didn't know or care to do the job the correct way
4x4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
4x4fun
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Almost for got check your fuses for the cruse control and vaccum lines
4x4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It just occurred to me.....the horn doesn't work either. That means nothing with controls on the steering wheel works. Might there be a central plug or wire coming off the steering wheel that's loose?
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dim compared to what ?

Wiring issues in the doors are very common, remove the door trim panel, physically locate the chafed insulation, cut/broken wires, and fix them.

If all your steering wheel functions are inoperative, suspect that the clock spring has dirty connections or has failed. Clock spring failure is not unusual.

The clock spring is mounted on the steering column behind the steering wheel. This assembly consists of a plastic housing which contains a flat, ribbon-like, electrically conductive tape that winds and unwinds with the steering wheel rotation.

The clock spring is used to maintain a continuous electrical circuit between the instrument panel wire harness and the driver side airbag module, the horn switch, and the vehicle speed control switches on vehicles that are so equipped.

The clock spring cannot usually be repaired. If the clock spring is faulty, damaged, or if the airbag has been deployed, the clock spring must be replaced.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cool, thanks! I assume this is something that's fairly generic I could get at an auto parts store?
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You may want to have some diagnostics done, new clock springs are a little expensive. I have had good luck with used clock springs from the junkyard. Not all accidents deploy the air bags and one could test to see if the clock spring is broken.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.