2 way radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 2 way radio

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

2 way radio

Want to get some 2 way radio's so my step dad and I can communicate with each other while out on the trails. Need something good but not too expensive.

Unread 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
DuncsWK
2014 KL Cherokee 

FRS is pretty common. Easy to use and decent enough range. much cheaper than a CB

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq...w=1600&bih=799
DuncsWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

I was looking at a couple of those. I know Motorola is good brand for stuff like this. The 2 I've looked at have said approx. 23 and 35 mile range. That's plenty for me. I don't really want a CB. I don't want to mess with mounting it, and all that jazz. These take up less space too.
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Conditions must be perfect to get 20something miles from a FRS radio. Plan on 1/2 that.

Before CellPhone towers were put where I live we were using FRS and CB's. You were lucky to get 6 miles with either.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

I don't need something for that far. Couple hundred feet at best.
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz View Post
I was looking at a couple of those. I know Motorola is good brand for stuff like this. The 2 I've looked at have said approx. 23 and 35 mile range. That's plenty for me. I don't really want a CB. I don't want to mess with mounting it, and all that jazz. These take up less space too.
those are the "estimated" range of the GMRS not the FRS side of the radio. you have to buy a license(you and your dad unless you live in the same house) that is $80 to use the GMRS freq's. FRS your looking at about 500 yards at best and even less in trees or hills. for the range you want FRS would be fine. save some money and buy just FRS radios. they are out there and are cheap.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

We do live in same house. I'll have to look around. I'm not going to get them right away, but soon probably.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.